+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Invention needed for amputee fishermen

Default Invention needed for amputee fishermen

There are thousands of arm amputees each year, veterans and non-vets. The one item that has yet to be perfected for amputee fishermen is a one handed knot tyer. Using vest mounted fly pads helps, but it takes a LOT of skill, and the two advertised one-handed hook tyers don't really work very well (just my opinion, but I own them both).
    The creator/inventor of a one handed knot tyer will not make a lot of money, but will do a real service to amputee fishermen.
    Put on your thinking cap, come up with an idea and post it or do whatever is needed to make it available.

I don't know how this works, or IF it works, but I saw it online only a couple of nights ago, so perhaps fate is taking a hand here.

Coach,

Not exactly a 'knot' tyer, but this may be what you (they) can use:

http://www.basspro.com/NoKnot-FasSnap/product/2463/

It's probably available in other catalogs or at fly shops.

Hope this fits the bill.

Allan

Here's a video of that electronic tyer in use. Doesn't look like a one handed solution to me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynF2aEKIEQ8

Unfortunately, the electronic requires both hands and you still have to tie on the fast-snap.
    But...keep thinking.

The best invention to date may be Project Healing Waters. I'm sure there are many fly fishers who would be happy to spend a day on the water with these folks and tie on as many flies as required. I say that as the father of an amputee vet (legs) who has seen how generous people are with their support of these guys.

I just ran a little experiment. I placed pair of hemostats in my bench vise with a hook in them. I was able to tie a Davy Knot only using my right hand. Most amputees I have met develop much more dexerity than I have ever had, I think if you and mount a device (strong magnet?) to securely hold hemostats on their vest they will work out the rest of the knot. I had the idea, just don't have the means of manufacturing it of adding an extension on the end of the hemostats to gently hold the line (think small material holder). A couple of pins perpendicular to the line could be used to tie a Duncan Knot. A mounting device where you could easily mount forceps with the hook in their jaw, insert the line, remove the forceps and twirl them, remount and insert the tag appropiately would allow a clinch or improved clinch knot. I am thinking a magnetic base with a slot wide enough to accept the forceps and angled to toward the usable hand as a start. It would be movable with a magnetic base under the clothes/vent. Just thinking outloud.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

These are not complete because I did not have a piece of ferrous metal to make a back that would work with a magnet underneath the best. I made these out of scrap PVC structual material, you will recognize the test clip in the left device and medical forceps or hemostats in the the other. The slot for the forceps is a saw kerf that has been sanded a little, had I thought of it I would have heat the finger hole end and melted a mounting point. It's a start, if I can find some metal to make the back I will get my daughter to make a video of me tying a fly on. Or trying to do so.
    Fly holder 1.jpg
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Oh now you have me thinking!! My wife is an OT and is always having me mod something or another. I may have to put this idea in her head over a glass of wine tonight. BTW. before we got married she had me learn to tie my shoes one handed. I guess if I couldn't the deal was off.
    The only things we permanently keep, are those we give away-Waite Philips

Will just throw this in here ... for whatever it's worth. Velcro strips can hold anything to the prosthesis, and facilitate about any motion you need for tying flies, or flinging flies. A jewelers pin vise will hold the little things accessible. ( http://www.widgetsupply.com/product/SGS3-841DH.html )

Avoid frustration by NOT using the fastsnaps from Bass Pro. They will reduce fully capable people to tears.
    Last edited by Betty Hiner; 09-28-2012 at 06:47 PM.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread