+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trying to identify old bamboo rod found on a clients wall

Default Trying to identify old bamboo rod found on a clients wall

I found an old William Reid and Sons 10' bamboo fly rod tacked to the wall of a clients office recently. She has the original rod holder with what looks like an extra tip and middle. It is a four piece, and appears very old. I found a faded mark on the reel seat listing it as William Reid and Sons. She told me the rod belonged to an infamous man named, that died in prison after stealing 20 million doing a ponzy scheme. He was forced to sell his assets, and the business she bought happened to have his fishing gear in a closet. She has had it on a wall bent like a fish was on for years. The rod wraps are in rough shape but fixable. I told her I would try and determine it's worth and make her an offer to save it from her wall, but I can't find anything about William Reid and Sons online. Anyone know if this rod is worth saving and what a fair price would be?

William Read and Sons was once one of the finest tackle houses in Boston. They began business in 1848 as Lane & Read. Closed sometime early
    in the Twentieth Century. They did not build rods but retailed some fine and some not so fine rods over their life span with only their name
    displayed on the rods (trade rods). Possibly Charles Wheeler and Fred Thomas built rods for Read. All I can tell you.

One other thing.....if the rod has been displayed bent in a bow, such as it might appear with a nice fish on, it's gonna have one hell of a set!
    Display is all it will be good for. Personally, I wouldn't offer over $50.00 for it. It will more than likely only be useful as ornamentation.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Thanks for the info. The mark on the handle for William Read and Sons was the only mark i spotted in the little time I had with it.

+ Reply to Thread