+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: glass

Default glass

OK, so it's agreed then, trout sized fly rod development peaked with the invention of the six strip cane rod and just went downhill from there So who thinks that fiberglass is where the "evolution" should have ended? Although a die-hard cane guy, I have honestly found many of the midpriced glass rods to be more enjoyable and practical for trout fishing than many of the ultra-light, silly fast, graphite high dollar rods. Anyone else agree / disagree?

Bill O.

------------------
    [url=http://www.oysterbamboo.com:ec08f]www.oysterbamboo.com[/url:ec08f]

Bill,

I tend to believe the real downturn occured when rod manufacturers sold the public on "faster is better." They had the option to refine softer tapers but chose differently. Perhaps if they had taken the first route, we would have a broader selection of more fishable graphite rods.

I just don't know if it's fair to fault the material.

Very nice website, Bill.

Eric

Hey Guys,

It's these darned kids. Every thing has
    gotta be fast and far. Give me a slower
    rod any day.*G* J.P. Ross offers a slower
    action nicely appointed graphite rod in
    their Beaver Meadows models. Warm regards,
    Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Hatch (edited 07 May 2006).]

So who thinks that fiberglass is where the "evolution" should have ended?
    I don't. Graphite has given us the ability to achieve greater distance for spooky fish. Don't get me wrong as I am a slow caster so fiberglass suites me better and gives me better accuracy at the expense of greater distance. I have not had the opportunity to use a bamboo but have read about their legendary sensitivity. To me, all the materials used to make fly rods have their place, each having the ability to meet its own particular casting conditions and purposes. Its a shame the manufacturers have essentially let the other equally versitile materials fall by the wayside all for the sake of graphite.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

As Eric said, you can't fault the material.

You can build a graphite blank with the same 'flex' or 'action' as a fiberglass or cane rod. It will just be lighter, maybe.

The actions built into modern graphite rods are what the manufacturers perceive as what the fly fishing public demands. Since they are still in business, they must be correct, at least for the market they want to service.

As material science improves, so will the availability of rod building materials that can give us more stength, sensitivity, precision, durability, and weigth savings. How these are used, as far as actions and such, will be determined by the marketplace.

However, whether or not such improvements are 'better' is too subjective. Perhaps we are actaully seeing 'progress for progress sake'. Doe it really matter anymore. Most of us are catching fish, and it's unlikely that any 'improvement' in rod design will significantly impact that at this point.

After all, it is just a fishing rod. Nothing really important, critical to anything, or even truly neccessary in any significant way.

Just how 'good' does it need to be?

Good luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

All excellent points. I suppose what made me think of this was a memory of a time (long, long ago ) when I was fishing a big name graphite rod, and when it broke for no apparent reason (certainly nothing I could have done!) I pulled out my old Martin 8' 6wt. I had paid $29 bucks for the thing brand new and this included a reel and line! I can tell you it was a real joy to fish. Since then I have cast many rods and, especially in the low dollar ranges, glass wins over graphite in my book everytime. Of course I understand that a 90' parking lot cast is what sells rods 90% of the time (just go to any shop or trade show to see this concept in action) however, I know there are holdouts out there. I think it was John Gierach who said something to the effect that a person can get to feeling pretty self righteous when it comes to cane, but the true unsung cranks of the sport are the fiberglass guys... or something to that effect. Of course all you really need to catch a fish is good eyes...and maybe a rock, but clearly it's not all about catching fish.

Bill O.

------------------
    [url=http://www.oysterbamboo.com:8d992]www.oysterbamboo.com[/url:8d992]

[This message has been edited by oyster (edited 07 May 2006).]

[This message has been edited by oyster (edited 07 May 2006).]

The EVOLUTION continues and should never end. Fly rods available today are more versatile and better performing than ever.

Who knows what Technology or when it will Peak?
    Hopefully, Never!
    Max

Whoooooo hooooo!!!! I'm a crank!!!...LOL...To each their own...But My money's on Glass!!!

Still Battling my deamon's on weather or not to fish an old Hedon Black Beauty 7'6" 5# wt. Glass rod I picked up about a year ago...This thing shows NO sign of the ferrules having EVER been slid together!!

I pop the tube open now and then and am in awe of the color and Finnish of it...
    Would you guys take it out for a fishing excursion????....or suffer the agony??????

The pics I seen of this rod prior to buying did not do it any justice whatsoever....Prolly why I even got it at all.
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Personally, I can make horrible casts with ALL materials. I fish graphite & bamboo. I do not own a glass rod, but did at one time. While I am FAR from being worthy of expressing an informed opinion, I think all materials have pros & cons. Depends on the user which material is best for them.
    Mike

------------------
    You can call me Mike & you can call me Mikey..Just remember that this site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

"Progress is the root of all evil"

From the broadway musical "Lil Abner".....Bring back the good old days!

Gem
    (formerly Plain Old Jim)

[This message has been edited by Gemrod (edited 07 May 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Gemrod (edited 07 May 2006).]

+ Reply to Thread