+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Regarding fly lines...

I agree, he, he. I love my Boos and Glass, plus the Superfines. I feel the fly line next to the fly and presentation, is the most important thing to "catching". The rod however, is a physical thing so the new lighter rods that come at a cost is worth it to me. Reel, not so important. I hold that as a place to hold the line, but a good drag is nice, but not necessary. That being said, I have no problem paying that $100. on a line that does everything it claims to and did I say last longer. I fish at least 3 days a week, year round. I can go through a line in a year. Third year on the SS and still looks purdy. But, when I can go out with a newbie and their budget line (and some do choose Peach) and had them my rod with Shark Skin and not only see, but hear them jump for joy at how easy and far they just cast.
    I can roll cast 60' easy with a 6'6" 4 wt glass rod. Again, I understand many love Peach. I just am not one of them and I have tried it, so not talking out my &^%$. LOL

I guess that's the difference, Goddess: you're a "professional" fisherman, I'm a "recreational" fisherman. I do have some nice rods (I love my Winston WT's) but I've never worn out a fly line in my life, and mostly I don't cast far enough to worry too much about how far the line will shoot. My cheapie seems to float really well and I haven't noticed any memory problems, and it'll cast as far as I can cast it. Remains to be seen whether it will continue to perform, but if it doesn't I can buy a lot of 'em for the price of one high-dollar line . I guess I'm a "get-what-you-pay-for" guy too; I just think there's a law of diminshed returns after you get to a certain point. But I'm not here to argue or convert anybody, and differences of opinion are what makes the world go round. Best wishes from the prairie...
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

I guess one could be happy with a moped as it will get you there, but a Harley is nicer...LOL As you said, you don't need to cast far and the line does fine, but you don't need to cast far with SS either as I do fish creeks, but nice to have one line that will do all waters. Sure you can buy many lines for the price of SS but you can spool them too
    If your needs are small then by all mean spend small. But there is a difference and that was what the post is about. If a newbie will notice it immediately, there is a difference.
    The cost....well that is the way things go.

I guess my needs are small. Thanks for the put down.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

Now, Now, you said "I don't cast far enough to worry too much about how far the line will shoot" No put down at all. But I will drop out of this post now, so please continue.

I wasn't aware that casting distance was the bench mark for measuring fishing competence; in fact, didn't you say earlier that presentation is what's important? But whatever. Keep buying those hundred dollar fly lines; the economy needs the boost !

And I never said anything about measuring or competence but whatever.
    Tight lines
    FG

Quote Originally Posted by Prairieschooner View Post
    I wasn't aware that casting distance was the bench mark for measuring fishing competence; in fact, didn't you say earlier that presentation is what's important? But whatever. Keep buying those hundred dollar fly lines; the economy needs the boost !
    Yes the economy needs a boost, but fishing as much as I do, replacing floating lines every 2 years ends up about $60. So 5 years ago when I first got Sharkskin for my 5 wt., I paid $99. I'm still using that line, it floats as good as it did on day one.
    So I feel like I let the economy down by not contributing that extra money (another year and it'll be another $60 if I was still replacing the same line. So, in 6 years, the less expensive line would have cost a total of $180. $80 more than what I paid initially for the SS. Cost effective for me. Plus, I false cast less, (which means the fly is on the water more than in the air), can use it on small streams or large rivers, and being as slick as it is, I can reach that fish I wasn't able to with other lines. In your last post to FG, you mentioned that you weren't aware that casting distance was the benchmark for measuring fishing compentence. It's not, but this line will improve your casting distance, so you need to realize you have to change a few things with your cast, mainly you use less effort to cast.
    One of the biggest selling points for me is-THE TIP KEEPS FLOATING WITHOUT THE AID OF ANY KIND OF FLOATANT. But then since I've got the 5 wt. line, I had to get it in 3,4, and 6 wt. too.
    But if peach is your bag and you've had it forever, good on you. Just stopped working for me many years ago and I found a better line- for me.
    p.s. this line works well on every rod I have from bamboo, to old and modern glass, full flex Superfines to fast graphite. It's very non-bias towards your collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
    But if peach is your bag and you've had it forever, good on you.
    Well, thank you so much!!
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

[QUOTE=bobbyg;462335]Well, thank you so

I do what I can to educate the masses

+ Reply to Thread