+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Goop/Toulene, Zylene

Just an example but some of the paint stores like them will have it.

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

The names are: toluene (the chemical name) or Toluol (the Trade name), and xylene (chem. name) or Xylol. More than likely they will go by their Trade names. I am surprised that you did not find it in the art section of Michaels. My 'friendly neighborhood' ACE hardware had both in quart cans last weekend. I bet yours will also have it.

Regards

I have quart cans of Xylene, Mineral Spirits and Lacquer Thinner, a cocktails of MEK and other chemicals, distributed by Klean Strip Brand. The Klean Strip website says their products are available at most ACE, Walmart, Home Depot & Lowes stores.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I bought a quart can of Xylol at Sherwin Willaims just now. It was almost $10.

No body said it was cheap. Be careful with it there are over 18,000 btu per lb. there, about 85% of the value for propane.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Will it hurt if I get it on my skin, fingers, etc?

As a solvent both of them will strip the oils from your hands. Should you have a sensitivity to them, you'll get some irritation and a bit of redness. If you use it a lot, you'll dry your skin to the point where you get cracking and flaking. Be aware that rubber gloves will slow the exposure, but will become saturated themselves and you will still be exposed. So change your gloves frequently if you do have a sensitivity.
    Also, there will be some benzene present in toluene or xylene. Benzene has been shown to cause cancer and interfere with reproduction in males. The OSHA permissible exposure level for benzene is 1 ppm on a time weighted average. (Acetone for example has a 1000 ppm PEL, xylene 100 ppm and toluene 200 ppm) You should work in a well ventilated area and not store the containers in your living area.

The flammability concerns probably trump any exposure concerns for these. You should be fine if you are careful with them.

Sometimes Dug stores carry toluene or xylene in smaller quantities, Try Walgreens or Rite-Aid.
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

Default goop

this is an excellent opportunity for me to expose my ignorance. how much solvent to thin goop and then what does one use the thinned goop for?

all depends on how thin you want it, i add a 50/50 mix to a 2 oz. bottle and go from there till I get the right consistancey I want. wing cases for nymphs, covering latex caddis larva, real thin for raffia wings( check my website), head cement, all kinds of stuff that wants to stay flexable..
    Last edited by sandfly; 09-11-2012 at 04:12 PM.
    sandfly/bob
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215
    I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing ghillie..

+ Reply to Thread