+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reel balancing with Sage VPS 5wt rod

Default Reel balancing with Sage VPS 5wt rod

I just bought a Sage VPS 9ft 5wt 4pc rod(3 5/16oz) and a Sage 3200(3 1/8oz) but I think the reel is way too light. When I try to balance it with a finger somewhere around the middle of the cork handle, the rod tip dives to the floor. I had to put my finger about 3 inches in front of the handle just for balance on my finger. I went to Wally World and bought a package of 1/4oz weights to see how much weight I needed to add to make it balance, it used 10 weights (2.5 oz). Am I doing this correctly? I also had the reel loaded with fly line and backing. If this reel is too light and I need to get something else, are there any 5wt VPS owners out there and what reel do you own?

Thanks,
    Tommy

That was with the line and backing on there. Thanks.

I don't think I understood correctly. You say you dropped 300 bucks on a korean made reel and then headed to walmart to buy some weight?

I'm thinking of going with the 2500 series, maybe the 2550.

TC

Why don't you just cast/fish the rod/reel combination first to see how you like it. If it is comfortable, there is no need to change anything.

Here we go again. The weight of the rod is going to change when you run a line through the guides, it's going to get heavier and mess your calculations all up. Those ounces aren't going to matter all that much. Get a reel that holds as much backing as you're going to need and one that you like/can afford. I think it's a little more comfortabe to have a lighter reel on a rod, despite that, I use Abel reels, which are notoriously heavy.

Have you ever tried the Orvis Battenkill LA reel? you might see what you think about it.. Is your Sage the Click and Pawl version? I know they have two versions of those reels and the reel with the drag system weighs like an ounce more than the click and Pawl version! Sorry if this is news you already know and it doesn't help you.

Benjo, I tested it with the line through the guides. I should have mentioned that. I was just making sure I was testing it the right way to see if balanced.

brhokla, actually, the Orvis Battenkill LA III is one of the reels I am looking at to replace this one. I am also looking at the Sage 2550 series, the Ross Rhythm 2/3, and the SA system 2 LA. I like a few others but they don't list the weight like the GLoomis East Fork and Wright & Mcgill LA. These were some that I noticed on Cabelas website. The one I have now is click & pawl version.

I'm with Benjo on this one. "Balance" is avery elusive thing to achieve, as the dynamics constantly change during casting and fishing. Try acually fishing with the setup you have, before you spend money on a reel you may not need. If you find the current setup uncomfortable, by all means, look for something different, but don't get hung up on balance unless it really affects your fishing.

I have never really worried about how a rod/reel balances as long as it is comfortable (A Tibor Pacific on a 7'9" 3 wt isn't comfortable). In my opinion, a lot of people fret too much over a few tenths of an ounce here or an ounce there. Just for grins, I assembled some of my 4,5 and 6 wt combos that I use often and several balance in the same fashion as tommyc described. I then move some of the reels around, and they balance differently. I have never noticed any difference when fishing. What I do notice much more than weight or balance, is the feel in the hand derived from rod taper. For instance, I have 3 6wt rods that all weigh about the same. On is medium fast action, one fast, and one very fast. The very fast rod feels much heavier than the other two when casting - but its not. I like all three rods.

When I go fishing I just grab a rod I want to use and a reel with the line I want, and use them without consideration for balance. On some of my 5 wt rods, sometimes the reel is less than 4 oz and sometimes closer to 7, plus line and backing.

+ Reply to Thread