+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to purchase a new rod

Default Looking to purchase a new rod

Hi all, I'm looking to purchase a new rod for next season and need some input. Here is the criteria for the new rod:

1. Must be american made!
    2. 4 or 5 weight
    3. Looking for a 4 piece model
    4. Fast action
    5. $400 or less

Any suggestions?

Rodney

Rodney,

Given your criteria the Sage Response ($395) is going to be your best bet. However, you may find some closeout Sage Flight (the Response is the replacement for the Flight) rods that will be well within your price range. Both are American made (Bainbridge Island, Washington) and fast action. I fish a 3 wt Sage FLI which is an ancestor of the new Response and the Flight rods. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any Sage rod.

Brian
    "My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him, all good things - trout as well as eternal salvation - come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

Not many options in a sub $400 American made rod and fewer for fast action rods. Other than the Sage rods already mentioned the only othe option that I can think of is the Scott A4.

The St Croix Legend Ultra was discontinued last year but you might be able to find one on closeout somewhere.

Don't know where it is made, but if you get by that issue, the TFO BVK is an outstanding fast action rod for around $225 for a 9' for 5 wt four piece rod.

I have the Sage Fli in a 9' for 7 wt so when I went looking for a new 5 wt, that was my first look. Did not like it at all in the 5 wt. Felt like a real stick.

Cast the BVK with the line I had on my reel, a Rio Selective Trout II DT5F and that was all it took. Sold. Since then I've also fished it with a Rio Selective Trout II WF4F and that is an outstanding combination. Like it better than with the 5 wt line.

For those who don't know already, the BVK is for Bernard Victor Kreh, also known as Lefty. If he was willing to make this line of rods his namesake line, you know it is an exceptional rod within the TFO brand.

John
    The fish are always right.

TFO rods are made in Korea. If you're unwilling to budge of criteria #1, I'd go with a used or closeout higher end rod, like a Sage XP or Z-Axis. An example:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sage-XP-9-5-...item3a797586c1

Orvis Access 8' 4wt & 8' 6" 4wt....$375

I purchased a new 4pc 8'6" 4wt Clearwater this summer as a travel rod and LOVE it. $198 and highly recommend it......but it's not US made. Still carries the 25yr Warranty though.

Ralph

The Sage VPS is a nice fast action rod. It delivers a fly with delicacy and accuracy with ease. I own 2 rods in the VPS model (5 and 3 weights) and prefer it over the XP. The price is nice too.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/330786664168...84.m1436.l2649

NewTyer 1 Guest

The Clearwater rod also comes in a 8'6" 5wt 4pc which I loved when I cast it. I would love to have one. Low budget, but I think their made in korea. I think only the high priced Orvis rods are made in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by NJTroutbum View Post
    Orvis Access 8' 4wt & 8' 6" 4wt....$375

I purchased a new 4pc 8'6" 4wt Clearwater this summer as a travel rod and LOVE it. $198 and highly recommend it......but it's not US made. Still carries the 25yr Warranty though.

Ralph

Yes, the CLearwater is made in Korea. The ACCESS-and-up line is US made.

I fish a Scott 5 wt 8'6" 2 piece I bought on ebay with a cheap reel for under $100. The equivilant A4 Scott is $395. I love the rod.
    Another alternative is to buy an American made blank and build your own. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

+ Reply to Thread