+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Casting Basics - Part 1

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    My point remains. Teach them to cast the line. If they think of casting a lure with a spinning rod then great. Now cast the line with a fly rod. Same thing only different technique. The only confusion I have encountered with teaching spin fishermen is not about terms but technique. They don't have to relearn what casting means just how to do it. One of the first things we do is explain the similarities and the differences when casting either a lure or a fly line. In one the lure is the weight and in the other the line is the weight. I say if you can get that in their heads not to mean that it is difficult to do but to rather I was saying that if you teach it, it will get into their heads. I have never had anyone confused about the idea of casting a line as opposed to a lure. Now just to pick on you a little. I think your reasoning as far as the language being the confusing aspect falls short. Let me illustrate. If a baseball player wants to take up golf, what are we going to teach him? I would assume how to 'swing' a golf club or how to 'hit' a golf ball. Do we invent a new language or avoid using the terms that he has a preconceived notion about or do we emphasize new techniques. There is a way to hit a baseball and there is a way to hit a golf ball. There is a way to swing a baseball bat and a way to swing a golf club. IMHO I tend to believe that the similarities can be a useful tool if done right. Could be a number of variables in teaching techniques that we aren't addressing as I believe you experience pretty good success teaching as do we. Interesting topic, great discussion.
    WOW! I just noticed that I made Senior Member status. I am getting old
    My point is very simple, I don't use the word casting when teaching fly fishermen. Its the first thing I explain to students is why I don't use the word casting. Its not precise enough and frankly I found it to be a grand waste of students time to use imprecise language. Its not a black and white proposition language is the great gray dynamic of teaching. Many common phrases used by renowned instructors simply don't fit the real world application from a students point of view. I'll use the ever popular 'speed up and stop' I know what it means, most instructors understand the point, but what does the student see, hear, feel and how do they relate to it. I consider all things and not lightly. Speed up and stop, am I teaching driver ed or am I talking to the rod. Of course its a reference to forming a loop, projecting the line and aiming to a specific point and elevation. So I teach controlled loop formation and even call it 'loop control' and there for don't need the word casting. I prefer to teach directly to a students desire to learn and understand what they see, feel and hear. Because that is what is real to them. I have long held that it far less important how skilled with a rod and instructor is if they choice the wrong language to convey their lessons they will not be as effective as they might otherwise be. My that was refreshing.
    Capt. Paul Darby Dont wait to be ask, get out and teach.

Why not just add the simple identifier word "fly" followed by the word casting. Fly Casting. Seems that would diferentiate between 'regular' casting references such as: casting a line; casting a net; casting lots; or a casting of cement, plaster of paris, etc.; casting charactors for a play; ad infinitem. Why waste time criticising anothers methods and mincing their words? Seems like some folks might just need to get out and fish more..he he

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

Line casting....

Oldfrat, please! Chi Psi '67.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfrat View Post
    Oldfrat, please! Chi Psi '67.
    Fixed it My bad.

See, words do make a difference

Quote Originally Posted by appalachian angler View Post
    Why not just add the simple identifier word "fly" followed by the word casting. Fly Casting. Seems that would diferentiate between 'regular' casting references such as: casting a line; casting a net; casting lots; or a casting of cement, plaster of paris, etc.; casting charactors for a play; ad infinitem. Why waste time criticising anothers methods and mincing their words? Seems like some folks might just need to get out and fish more..he he

aa
    Because the fastest way to inspire a student to become involved with the sport I love to share, is to provide them the clearest path to understanding.

Just bumping this thread back to he top as feel it deserves a replay as a whole for those who might of other wise have missed it.

Currently land-locked in South-Central Indiana, USA

Thanks for posting the reference to this qrrfish1.

---David

As a beginner, I can say this is an excellent, easy to follow article and I learned quite a few things by reading it. Thanks Oldfrat for taking the time to write this!
    Stop and smell the roses!

+ Reply to Thread