+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Goals

Poke 'em,
    You might consider Washington as well for some of your species. Coastal cutthroat are avaialble somewhere in the waters of Puget Sound almost year-round, and the rare anadromous form of the bull trout can be found in the waters of the rivers of northern Puget Sound (notably the Skagit and Sauk and the Skykomish).

My main Fishing goal for 2012 was to fish more in the Salt Water and to catch a Kingfish on fly. I have managed both, spending quite a bit of time on a Reef in the middle of town that you can get to with a bit of a wade from about 3 hours before low tide. I have managed to fish here for a few hours after work many times and am yet to get Skunked it has been an exceptional season for Snapper. Catching a Kingfish on fly took a bit longer but I managed that when a friend invited me out on his boat and we caught about 10 in one evening, I can tell you they pull string like no other fish I have ever hooked. If you want to see some pictures have a look in the Salt water fly forum.
    So how many of you have managed one or more of your fishing goals so far this year?
    One I am yet to achieve is to catch a Kingfish from the shore on fly but I am working on it!
    All the best.
    Mike

Arrow Another good start, Mike ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Thomas View Post
    ...So how many of you have managed one or more of your fishing goals so far this year...
    See post #38 above. Within that overall goal, I wanted to start fishing the Lochsa in March - done - and fish it deep into the winter.

Another informal goal that falls within the overall goal, is to go back here ...

... and see if I can catch the two large Yellowstone Cutthroat trout that look something like this, but bigger ...

... that I saw in that spot last summer. It's a long way to go, a lot of dirt road, and a four mile plus hike, but catching even one of those fishies is well worth the effort.

John
    The fish are always right.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Thomas View Post
    So how many of you have managed one or more of your fishing goals so far this year?
    See post #40 above. Within that overall goal, I have so far landed 2 new (for me) fly rod species this year (yellow bullhead and yellow bass). And last night's fishing outing put me over 1,000 fish for the year. I checked my fishing logs back thru 2006, and this is the earliest in the year that I have reached 1,000 fish. I'm 233 fish ahead of 2007, which was my best year ever for numbers of fish caught (2,626 fish). I'm excited to see how the rest of the year plays out!
    Last edited by FishnDave; 08-28-2012 at 01:07 PM.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Arrow At mid-year ...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    ... ( Posted 1-1-12 ) some moving water ...

... and the first of ten trouts in hand today, out of fifteen hooked...

Very cold, slush in the river, ice in the guides, and a great way to kick off 2012.

The goal now is to go do it another 125-150 times before the end of the year. Except for the slush and the ice in the guides, of course.

John
    ... with seventy days fly angling so far this year, given continued good health and barring serious injury, I'm well on my way to meet the goal of 125-150 days before the end of the year.

How is everyone else doing ??

John

Quote Originally Posted by branhap View Post
    Well I'm really late on this but my goals for this year are...

1. Get my Dad into fly fishing. - Accomplished
    2. Get my wife into fly fishing. - Still working on this, part #1 is to get her a fish on the end of her line of any type of rod first though. She's a bit frustrated that she hasn't caught anything in a couple years.
    3. Catch a new species. - Done, Mountain Whitefish
    4. Catch a Large Mouth Bass on the fly.
    5. Fish a new stream or lake for trout.
    Completed Goal #2! So only thing left to do at the moment is fish a new stream or lake and achieve the bass on a fly rod goals. Not sure if I'll get the bass one done, as my boat motor has been giving me issues. Has a major fuel leak.
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

Quote Originally Posted by oldfrat View Post
    I hope to do a lot more fly fishing in 2012 as a result of renewed good health

Brad
    Does that mean you can feel your fingers and toes now? If so, Kewl as the kids say.

Arrow Long day ...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    ...Another informal goal that falls within the overall goal, is to go back here ...

... and see if I can catch the two large Yellowstone Cutthroat trout ...

... that I saw in that spot last summer. It's a long way to go, a lot of dirt road, and a four mile plus hike, but catching even one of those fishies is well worth the effort.

John
    ... to see it up close and fish it ...

Water is still pretty high post run off. The big foam patch covers all the best holding water. Caught two smaller Yellowstone cutts in the small patch of open water at the center of the pic.

But just upstream, I got this guy ...

... who made the hike worth it. Along with a number of smaller fishies.

Looks like I'm in for a return trip when the crick settles down a bit more.

John

Quote Originally Posted by branhap View Post
    Well I'm really late on this but my goals for this year are...

1. Get my Dad into fly fishing. - Accomplished
    2. Get my wife into fly fishing. - Done
    3. Catch a new species. - Done, Mountain Whitefish
    4. Catch a Large Mouth Bass on the fly. - Done
    5. Fish a new stream or lake for trout. - Done (Granite Creek and Wind River)
    I have completed all my goals for the year! Woohoo!

Paul
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

More fly fishing, going minimalist with my gear and get into my Tenkara fishing as well

+ Reply to Thread