+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starting over ...

Arrow Starting over ...

... again.

Several times now, I've decided to start over. Get rid of all the flies I won't be using in the next week or so and start tying only flies that I'll use in the near future.

The last two times I decided to do this, it did help me focus on improving my fly tying in several different ways. And both times, there just happened to be someone who could use my inventory of old but fishable flies.

This time I think I will start with a Renegade, which was the fly du jour on my outing yesterday.

And again, there is someone with a good cause who can use a box of flies ....

John
    The fish are always right.

John, I've had good luck putting a little red ice dub butt on my renegades. Not enough cutts here to compare, but you have a captive audience, and cutts do love renegades.

John,

I wish I had the time to start over. It would be fun, but until my kids are off to college I'll just enjoy the fruits of your labor and reports.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
    John, I've had good luck putting a little red ice dub butt on my renegades. Not enough cutts here to compare, but you have a captive audience, and cutts do love renegades.
    Karen -

I typically tie Renegades with a bright red thread, and make a "tag" with the thread before tying in the rear hackle. Not sure when and why I started doing that, but I won't eliminate it while starting over. For me it is just a given when tying that particular fly.

John

Quote Originally Posted by TyroneFly View Post
    John,

I wish I had the time to start over. It would be fun, but until my kids are off to college I'll just enjoy the fruits of your labor and reports.
    Your time will come, Marty. In the meantime, enjoy what is in front of you, whatever it is. Glad to be a part of it.

John

Blog Entries

John,
    I always tied my Renegades with a gold tag at the rear. That's not the standard Renegade?

Quote Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
    Almost like the Buzz Hackle fly
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...es/part112.php
    Used to be really polular in the Sierra Nevadas, espcially on the North Fork Yuba
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Blog Entries

Here's a link to a photo of the Renegade I recall with the gold tag:

http://www.west-fly-fishing.com/fly-...renegade.shtml
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 08-28-2012 at 04:28 AM.

Sometimes you start over voluntarily, sometimes you are forced....

Like when you lose your terrestrial box, just last week. Cr-p.

Lightbulb Hmmmmmm ......

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    John,
    I always tied my Renegades with a gold tag at the rear. That's not the standard Renegade?
    ... I'm not aware of any "standard" for the Renegade. When I first tied them, I don't think I even used a tag. I have tied them with yellow thread and used it for the tag way back when but somewhere along the line I settled on the red thread.

Westfly is one of the good sites around for entomology, and they do have a good selection of fly patterns / recipes. But their flies, to my way of thinking, do not reflect or create any standards for the patterns presented.

In Snake River Country Flies and Waters ( the book with a picture of your brother on the cover ), Bruce Staples states that "A red or gold tag is optional." That suggests to me that if there is a "standard" pattern, it would have no tag at all. And I would bet that Bruce is as good an authority on this fly as anyone around.

John

+ Reply to Thread