+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For those who tie "TINY"...

texfly,

My understanding is that Hareline will be distributing the 6/0 - 14/0 Veevus. I have had some conversations with a number of tiers in Europe and a few in the former Czech. Republic who have been using this thread. To a person, they all like it. I was hoping they would also carry the 16/0 but that may come if there is enough demand for it. I'll be putting in an order for the 14/0 through Bob Marriott's, here in LA, next week. When I first got them to order the Tiemco 16/0 through Umpqua, they were a bit skeptical...now, they can't keep it in stock. I notice it is not included on the list that Silver Creek provided. All I can say is that it it much stronger than the Lagartun 74 Denier which I also like and use...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

Silver Creek...

The same argument can be made against Denier (Denier is based on 'mass' per fixed length of the material). Denier has nothing to do with strength, or diameter of the material. It is density based. Examination of the table you present, and based on only two different denier values, bear this out (D45 and D70) as presented here:

Brand Denier Material Tensile Strength Dia. (.000)[inch][sic]

Uni Caenis
    45 Poly 9 oz. 1.0
    Euro 45 Poly 15 oz. 1.3

(NOTE: Difference intensile strength is 6 oz; a 60% difference; and there is a 33% difference in diameter.)

Benecchi 12/0 70 Poly 15 oz. 1.9
    Danville 6/0 70 Poly 11 oz. 1.5
    Wapsi UTC70 70 Poly 13 oz. 1.1

(There is a variation of approx. 30% in the Tensile Strength between the strongest and weakest of three threads, and a variation of over 40% in their diameters.)

Based on these numbers, and variations, I fail to see where Denier is a major improvement on the old 'ought' system.

Regards!

Frank

This is a review of the Veevus threads done by my friend Marc Fauvet, who lives in Sweden and is a casting instructor in Europe...for those who visit Sexyloops, his name might be familiar:

http://thelimpcobra.com/2012/05/17/r...ing-materials/

My shop here in LA, Bob Marriott's, is now carrying it and it is listed in the new FC catalog...

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
    and it is listed in the new FC catalog...

PT/TB
    Saw that in the fall catalogue I got the other day. Also see they have some of the Spirit River UV stuff, although not the peacock eyes, yet

Regards,
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread