+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Musky Rod Recommendation

Default Musky Rod Recommendation

A friend and I are planning getting into fly fishing for musky this fall. He has a 10 wt Xi2 that he is planning to use. I don't have any rods that big. I'm looking for recommendations on a rod. I'm thinking 10 wt is probably the ticket.

As far as price, I can probably do <$400. I've built several rods, so I have actually planned on going that route to potentially save a bit of money.

Let me know what y'all have had experience with, and would you would recommend.

I have two Sage RPLXi rods that I really like. Fairly fast without being a broomstick. You can usually find a 10W Sage RPLXi for around $275/300 which would leave you some left over for a reel which is what you really want to spend your money on. If you're looking for a very solid, no frills 10-11 wt reel that will do the job in fresh or salt water, you should look at the Scientific Angler System 2 reels on Sierra Trading Post. They are listed for $134.95 but if you have any coupons you can get it for a low as $87 which is a steal. All told, you could have decent outfit for about $500 including line.

Jim Smith

+ Reply to Thread