+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Noob gear questios?

Default Noob gear questios?

I need a waist pack, gel floatant, forceps, and line clippers. I see that there is a buttload of manufacturers and models for each. Do you folks have a favorite based on experience? Thanks...
    Gary

NRA
    SCI

Gary

The only waist type pack that I use (warm water and saltwater) is Recycled Waders Big Fanny Pack. For trout fishing I've tried Fishponds Blue River and the Orvis Sling pack and went back to using a vest. The reason being is that is what I started using some 40 years ago and it is what I prefer.

I use Orvis Hy Floate Gel and also their Ergonomic Snips. My forceps I bought at Sportsman's Warehouse and don't know whose they are. With that said I think you can use just about anybody's floatant, nippers and forceps. Some guys I fish with use finger nail clippers that you buy at the drug store.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

I agree totally with everything anglerdave has stated, especially his last two sentences.

I would only add I use Gehrke's Gink floatant.

The best angler I know uses fingernail clippers and a $40.00 Young's Beaudex reel.

Good luck with your accessories acquisitions and don't get caught up too much in the hoopla for all this stuff.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Dry Magic floatant (works with cdc and I fish a lot of CDC & Elks), drug store nail clippers and whatever forceps I bought at one of the local big box stores about 10 years ago (think I paid $5).

Regards,
    Scott

I suggest you stay with nippers over nail clippers as they come with a little needle to clear the eyes of flies that either have been clogged with head cement or over wrapped with thread.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Gary. I've got an eclectic bunch of stuff for different situations. I bought a fanny pack with 2 water bottles on it and 3 zippered compartments, a snap ring and a mesh pocket at a Walmart end of season sale for 10 bucks. I use it on days I just need 1 or 2 small fly boxes and a sandwich. I wear a vest sometimes and others I tote a backpack large enough for a long day out.
    My nippers came from Creek Co. with a zinger for $1. last fall. I also have backup nail clippers just in case. I also carry a small multitool with nippers, file, scissors, a knife blade and small straight and phillips screwdrivers. Forceps I have had for years and years. I've found some at yard sales, swap meets and flea markets. Some are as much as $1.50 and others a nickle. Never pass one up. Gehrkes Gink and Xink are about all I use. I've got several other tubes, tins and jars but like the Gehrkes for convenience. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

+ Reply to Thread