+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tenkara ... What?

Quote Originally Posted by bowfin47 View Post
    Isn't Tenkara just a modernized form of "dappling"?
    Interesting that still so many feel Tenkara fishing is dapping, or fishing with a 12' Crappie pole, 14' bamboo pole and a string when they were kids.
    Did these same kids cast these "poles" like a Tenkara rod, (which is pretty much like, if not identical to casting a fly rod) with only 14', 16', 18' or so of line and a fly on the end, or just chuck their worm and bobber out.
    I'll go out on a limb and say no to casting, and yes to chucking.

I got the answers to my original question and thought the thread was over. Now I see I kicked a bit of a hornet's nest. I did not mean to bring about so much ... unrest ...
    But Mojo ... I cannot speak for everyone who was once a cane pole kid, but I can tell you that my Dad didn't much like fishing with live bait. He considered that to be harvesting, not fishing. Before I was old enough to "own" my own fly rod, I was taught to "fly fish" with a cane pole. With a length of fly line and mono leader and a fly, all of which was equal to the length of the pole, I learned to cast the line and fly to the end of it's length. Most of the places I fished, this would get you to several good bluegill areas and one could catch a stringer full in an hour or so.
    I thought this was how everyone used a cane pole for the first couple of years of my fishing career.
    "Give advice when asked. Give praise when appropriate. Give discipline when needed. Give respect always."

Quote Originally Posted by Fishingfiend View Post
    I got the answers to my original question and thought the thread was over. Now I see I kicked a bit of a hornet's nest. I did not mean to bring about so much ... unrest ...
    But Mojo ... I cannot speak for everyone who was once a cane pole kid, but I can tell you that my Dad didn't much like fishing with live bait. He considered that to be harvesting, not fishing. Before I was old enough to "own" my own fly rod, I was taught to "fly fish" with a cane pole. With a length of fly line and mono leader and a fly, all of which was equal to the length of the pole, I learned to cast the line and fly to the end of it's length. Most of the places I fished, this would get you to several good bluegill areas and one could catch a stringer full in an hour or so.
    I thought this was how everyone used a cane pole for the first couple of years of my fishing career.
    Harvesting, not fishing? I guess I'm confused here. Anyway, so as a kid, you'd take the cane pole and cast a fly (in the style of fly casting with a fly rod) and you'd catch a stringer of 'gills in an hour. Not to cause trouble, but isn't what you did harvesting?
    All in all, fish how you want. If one thinks Tenkara is dapping, to them it is a form of it. If you believe what you did as a kid is the same, that's cool. That's what makes the world go 'round, and keeps ff'ing forums hopping.
    Now, on another forum that will be nameless, to hijack the thread, was another discussion about "is fishing with a fly and water bubble and spinning outfit fly fishing, or is it just fishing with a fly?"

Wow!
    When I found this site, I read a lot of the posts before I posed a question. Now this question has dredged up two rather intense responses ... seems to have upset people. There have been a few people who've been nice ... and several more who seem to take offense when others don't agree with them. I'll just read things from now on and keep my fingers off the keyboard.

To those who answered and welcomed me, thank you.
    "Give advice when asked. Give praise when appropriate. Give discipline when needed. Give respect always."

I hope it wasn't me, I just asked some questions and commented. No need to leave, you took the time join, to ask a question and say what you believe. It's no big deal. Keep posting.

NewTyer 1 Guest

Fishingfriend, two things. I lived on the banks of a river that was brackish water and fished with a cane pole. It most have been 15' long and used shrimp to catch large white perch. When the Herring came in, snagging was legal and we did a lot of that and nets to catch bait for night fishing for Bull-Stripers So, times change. Does that make what we did bad fishing or sport? No. It is what we did back then and they still sell cane poles. Also, you shouldn't leave because your post went off on a tangant. That happens sometimes. Stick around and just watch for awhile. I'd hate to see you go after such a short visit

Fishingfiend:
    We're having fun with your question and its continued thread. This is an old argument and not one you started. This is going to be a tough act to follow. I look forward to your next question.
    Bill

Hey Fishingfiend, don't worry about the squabbling...imagine a bunch of people sitting around the table in a cabin at 1am arguing the fine points of fishing and all the good natured poking and ribbing that goes on...that's a bit like the folks here on FAOL. Trust me, this is one of the most civil forums I've ever found. You just added another chair to the table...yours.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

Fishingfiend, I read through the posts and immediately thought, Yep, he's one of ours! Please pass the donuts!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    Fishingfiend, I read through the posts and immediately thought, Yep, he's one of ours! Please pass the donuts!
    There are donuts?

+ Reply to Thread