+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eat Smart bars

Default Eat Smart bars

You know the usual caveat that accompanies a recommendation and disavows any relationship with the manufacturer? Well, I can't use that here, but I think I've been posting here long enough that you'll believe me when I say that my motivation for this post is pure. I'm posting it because I think it will help you, not because it will help me.

A client has a new protein bar out on the market called Eat Smart. You can Google it to find the details and where you can buy it near you. It should get into wider distribution soon.

I tried one today and concluded that it is perfect for me as a breakfast, lunch or snack on the water. They taste incredibly good and have a strong ability to satiate hunger. The nutrition and ingredient quality are very good. They are packed in individual foil packets and fit easily in a shirt or vest pocket.

Although intended for everyday use, my immediate reaction was that they will be perfect for me on fly fishing days and on airplane flights.

Mods, if you think this post is improper, please delete it and I will have no hard feelings. But, again, my motives are pure. I'm just trying to alert fellow fly fishers to a product I think they will like and find very useful.

Brad

I need to add that I have not field tested these yet. There is a possibility that the outside coating could get gooey in warm weather. If it is a problem, I'll report it.

That's the reason you put them in the cooler or the stream. If it didn't get gooey down here in the summer you probably couldn't chew it. I have seen ashpalt get gooey in the summer.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Bring some to LAF, and we'll field test them.

I have tasted them and they are good. Sofar distribution seems to be quite limited but I think they will pick up soon.

Chewy, I plan to bring some for me to field test there. You can bring some packed in your guitar case and field test that way of doing things. We can also test how well they do around a roaring campfire, how well they do when faced with an owner fall, etc.

UJ, thanks for that idea! I'll field test them carrying one in my vest and another in a sealed plastic bag that can be stored in the cool stream. Having experienced a bad case of beaver fever last year that really cut down on my fishing days, I'm very wary of what the lack of a sealed plastic bag could lead to.

I've also been warned on the other board where I posted this reco that the product is not ideal for diabetics or those on a low carb diet. So, if any of you are concerned about these, beware.

I would suggest that anyone who is thinking about trying these bars take a very good look at the nutrition label.

They don't look like smart eating to me.

John
    The fish are always right.

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    I would suggest that anyone who is thinking about trying these bars take a very good look at the nutrition label.

They don't look like smart eating to me.

John
    With all due respect Brad, I've got to agree with John here.
    12 grams of fat and a goodly carb load for a little shore side snack? I still run competitively and ride a bike more miles each year than I drive and I couldn't justify eating a snack bar with that nutritional load, plus the ingredients list reads like the mad scientists are running the place.

The worlds full of nutritious easy to carry snacks that come in their own wrappers, apples, oranges, pears, banana's and most of them have a more humane amount of fiber in them.

You start eating these things as snack bars or in place of meals and fail to work out, you're going to end up as big as a house.

Dave

Bag of almonds and craisins, and maybe a granola bar if I'm going to be hiking a good bit to get to the hole. Tried Power Bars but never really cared for them.

Regards,
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread