+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tenkara flies

Well said John. Thanks kindly.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    ...who chose to provide a Tenkara Forum for people to share their experiences... If all that makes you laugh, you are most likely laughing alone.

John
    Yup, that happens a lot! In fact the older I get, the more often it happens. Last I looked, this isn't the tenkara forum.

What makes me laugh is that by and large, in most cases, someone using a cane pole, string and a sponge spider would be looked on as inferior but someone using a $200 graphite pole, a few feet of fly line and only carrying a few copies of the same fly would be looked on as philosophic, advanced, and superior. Again, that's a generalization but if you're honest you know it's true in the fly fishing world today.

Smile

I think it's an American syndrome. "If it can be made, I have to have one."
    And we call folks who think otherwise, "Minimalists".

Companies target people that are psychologically geared with certain needs as in all marketing. It is purely psychological. the needs could be purely functional for a product that works with no added hyperbole (status). Thus a $35 dollar reel is created that does the job intended and made well. Than there is the added hyperbole to target one with an ego and need for status. Thus a $875 dollar reel is created to meet that need. Both reels function equally well both made as well. One may use more expensive metal for the arbor and reel but both structurally last as long.

As a remarketing coordinator in the automobile industry I see this for what it is and how we use it to (pardon the pun) bait and hook our target. The reality is amazing and it is all based on psychology and using it to sell them a product that though costs infinitesimally more than the next model down is no more superior to it except in the way we create perception in the minds eye of the consumer. Read that (consumer) as fish.

It blows my mind quite frankly that one would pay 800 900 plus for a reel that is designed to just pull line out and reel it in. That is a medium sized motorcycle engine, a very nice TV, a very nice bicycle, and on and on. But hey status is in the mind of the beholder. Tenkara is as well as is western style fly fishing. Both catch fish and not everyone is looking for a trophy. Some just love them little buggers called blue gills, some love Atlantic salmon. There is no one rig that does it all eh? But I digress. There are so many ways to fish and if a human being has found a way to fish that gives them pleasure than that my friends is all that matters. After all to quote Chris Stewert "it is just fishing". Cane poles are fun too and that kid or adult kid over there that has fished that stretch all his or her life is catching more fish "somehow" than that new comer wearing and carrying 2000 bux worth of gear.

Now as to why I have so many flies as a Western angler..... Cause I like em! The more the merrier
    Plus some flies lend themselves to certain areas or picky fish then others. There is a stretch on the Swift river I fish that is so technical it taxes the best of em. It has caused one seasoned angler to snap his rod right over his leg in frustration.

well said JC.

As for intentionally breaking a rod in frustration over picky fish.... that person is an utter fool.

Quote Originally Posted by JC_Hall View Post
    As a remarketing coordinator in the automobile industry I see this for what it is and how we use it to (pardon the pun) bait and hook our target.
    I am not taking shots my brother sells Toyotas & Lexus, just asking, is a "remarketing coordinator" someone who works selling used cars. Everyone has tried to make every job sound as important as possible sometimes you cannot tell what a person really does. I have been loss prevention, risk control, fire prevention/safety/security, and probably a couple I don't remember any more so my industry is as guilty as any.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

If i am true to myself, I only ever fish the same flies over and over again. A beaded PT nymph as my dropper and a Parachute Adams as my top fly and dry but i have alot more boxes of flies in my vest, 7 x boxes full. But those two stated are what I usually use as my go to flies and I only vary the size of the nymph, go smaller and vary the depth of dropper when fish arent biting (it works for me). I've always wanted to go minimalist, I have a double sided fly box which has only Beaded PT nymphs, size 14,16 and 18's on one side and Parachute Adams size 14 only on the other so I can use when I go Tenkara and Western fishing
    Last edited by Gig; 08-17-2012 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    I am not taking shots my brother sells Toyotas & Lexus, just asking, is a "remarketing coordinator" someone who works selling used cars. Everyone has tried to make every job sound as important as possible sometimes you cannot tell what a person really does. I have been loss prevention, risk control, fire prevention/safety/security, and probably a couple I don't remember any more so my industry is as guilty as any.
    No I am not a salesman. I am a manager of two stores used car inventory. My main responsibility is watching service that they don't take advantage of the dealership and making sure our vehicles go through all necessary chanels before they are ready for sale. This includes handling online listings and the list goes on. The position was created to cut down on costs and increase sales. It is a hands on approach that works and is saving the dealerships in three states a huge sum of money as well as increasing the bottom line. As far as importance, I don't swing that way I am a worker amongst workers. That is a personal philosophy. I used to run my own photography studio but got out for various reasons. Still do fine art work. When I am not fishing....
    Last edited by JC_Hall; 08-17-2012 at 09:20 PM.

+ Reply to Thread