+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alpha vs. Beta

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyg View Post

Just "me". Multi-piece fly rods?? is that a new innovation??
    Actually, the tip over butt ferrule is what made the multi-piece fly rods with no flat spots possible.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Back in 1995 I bought a Cortland CL-Series 6-weight fly rod. It has served me well over the past 17 years. I did change the handle grip diameter and shape, which only made the fly rod a whole lot better for my casting. Most commercially built fly rods have only one (maybe two) handle grip shapes & sizes for all their fly rods.

What is more important than the fly rod blank is the fly rod handle grip, to conform to your hand grip diameter and shape.
    I wrote a article on this topic for FAOL many years ago. Since then I have modified all my commercial made fly rod handle grips to my hand-grip. My casting has improved and can cast further, because the new handle grip eliminates the muscles and tendon in my casting arm from restricting my cast....

A few years back, the 6-inches of the tip section broke off, I even out below the break and installed a new tip top guide. Now the the Cortland CL-series 6-weight is a 9 feet in length, and the tip is even strong for fishing for the larger trout, as well as Smallmouth & Largemouth Bass. Because of a handle grips that matches my hand grip diameter and shape, I have not lost any of my casting distance.

Custom Grips
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...customgrip.php

~Parnelli
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 08-09-2012 at 05:01 PM.
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Creek View Post
    Actually, the tip over butt ferrule is what made the multi-piece fly rods with no flat spots possible.
    Thanks. I'll sleep better tonight knowing no flat spots in ferrules is possible.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

I will only buy American made rods. Not beating my chest, just my preference. Now, with that being said, I do understand that many parts of those American made rods were not made here like the guides. I still try my hardest though. As far as threads like this, we have to have them. We just don't have to take them so serious. I have strong opinions just like everyone else and I like hearing them from others. I do agree that premium pricing just keeps getting higher. As long as someone pays for it, they keep making it. What I don't agree with is (just based on my own buying preference) I will have to go with foreign made just to get within my price range. You can't blame companies for looking at the bottom line, but you can blame them for not creating a higher standard when it comes to entry level equipment. Newbies or veterans should not feel like they have to spend an arm and a leg for decent quality.

Loufly

It's your money - spend it however you want.

+ Reply to Thread