+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Poll time,what reel do you own and why?

The two I use most often are an Orvis CFO on my 4 weight. I like it mostly because it's got that classic look and it's light. The other one (and one I use most often) is a Hardy Lightweight on my 5 weight. Honestly the main reason I use it is because it "sounds like a Hardy". And the sound of a fish taking line off of a Hardy click-drag reel is one of the nicest sounds in the world.
    My one wish is that when I die my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid for it...

Interesting no one has mentioned the Okuma Helios....there was a time when they were under the radar you could get them at a bargain.
    Last edited by ducksterman; 07-25-2012 at 01:07 PM.

well i have way too many, but the ones i like are scientific anglers mastery and #2, than martin the mg 10 and the work hog mg 72 must be 12 ozs. all kind of , all kinds of small reels most all old had a hardy perfect gone over att a show this year factory man said in was very nice, for a reel build in 1925. also have some auto that i repaired that were not pick up after 43 years in the shop who knows what i have. flyman 3

I have a CFO 123 that I use for my 2and3 wts., aHardy JHL for my 4 wts and Lamson Velocity or Ross Gunnison for my 5wts. I just picked up an Abel creek,that will likely become my new 5 wt .Will be selling my Galvan and Tibor soon as I start downsizing my rods and reels.
    it's all good drifts

I just got a new TFO Finesse 7'3" 4pc 2wt and BVK 0 today, haven't fished it yet, but I like it already.

Empty

Loaded...maybe I should have put some more backing on?

Over all diameter is 2.75"

My other reels are Bass Pro Shops, two White River CV2 reels (small on my 3wt, medium on the 6wt) and a Worldwide Sportsman Gold Cup III on my 9wt.

Well I have a new addition to my galvan ob3,a Abel super series 3n that I tried on my custom built loomis 4 randy at bigdadyrods built for me,I think I like this setup but have chosen to keep the galvan for the 5 weight and as we speak the extra spool is on eBay.

I have a couple Tioga 6's, a Tioga 4, and a Lamson LP1-L. I like the Tiogas because they can take a pounding (lots of scrambling on the rocks), have a decent drag, and spare spools are fairly inexpensive. I love the Lamson for my lightweight trout fishing, and even though it only has a click/pawl drag, I've caught trout up to 20" on it without a hitch.

Regards,
    Scott

Okay, I'm an idiot. Is there an actual poll or are we being asked to simply identify our reels with answers to the question? In any event, I have reels for 2 purposes: 1) for trout, and 2) for salmon/steelhead. I have about 8 different ones for the former, all about the same size but hold different lines. For the latter I have a Refington/Orvis 8-9. Nothing fancy or expensive.

Allan

I fish primarily 5wts and 7wts. I've always really liked my old STH cassette reels for my 5wts. Can trade out different lines, sink tips, etc with the cassettes. I stick with my Teton Tioga LA's for my 7wts. They're built like Tiger tanks...and about as heavy! But I love em!

Whatever comes w/ TFO 8 weight rod cause that seemed a good place to start per bass pro sales.

+ Reply to Thread