+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Information on the Frying Pan River in late August

Default Information on the Frying Pan River in late August

Have friend going to Co to fish the Frying Pan in late August. Any information on flys, conitions and gear?

Your friend may get lucky. The Green Drakes will possibly still be hatching on the upper river. Tell your friend to check these guys out. They are very forth coming with up to the minute info. If your friend is on FaceBook, tell him to check out Taylor Creeks page. They post a tremendous amount of info there, and always answer questions about the Colorado, Roaring Fork,Frying Pan, and Crystal Rivers.

While your friend is in Basalt Colorado, have him stop by and chat with the guys in person. While there, he should buy a little pamphlet that shows the public access to all the rivers except the Crystal. It will be the best 10.00 he ever spent.

I could give you a generic report as to what your friend needs, but he can get dialed in if he will just do a little leg work. Maybe I should say typing work.

http://www.taylorcreek.com/

Dub, my friend is a she and the owner of the River Cafe in Normandy, TN. She and her sister flew a single engine plane around the world back in 98 so she is one hell of a lady and fellow fly fisher. Thanks for your help, I'll pass it on for sure>

You are welcome, and I am glad she's a helluva lady.

OMG! I love that river.

I'll fire you a PM with more info . ...but Yes to picking up the Roaring Fork & Frying Pan Fishing Map. It was $11 bucks two years ago but it's really a must have. It shows where the pubic access is on both rivers. Unlike Michigan, you can't fish anywhere you can wade or float to. A lot of water is private. Camping is nice at Ruedi Reservoir (we stayed here: http://www.wildernet.com/pages/activ...d=0215034611cg )
    You have access to the lake there which is fun with the float tube early and late in the day,...but it's the river that's really the attraction. The only thing is the wind can get WILD in the tail water section below the dam (big fish...SMALL flies, subsurface, 6X floro tippets and no stike indicators) Fish early or late in the day there. Fish the lower stretches of river if you want dry fly action.

There are two shops in Basalt. Both are good. Taylor Creek and Frying Pan Anglers. http://www.fryingpananglers.com/ One is just around the corner from the other. There's also a nice shop in I know some of the guys at Frying Pan Anglers a bit better. I see them every year at the Midwest FF Show, too.
    There's also a nice fly shop shop in Glenwood Springs. Roaring Fork Anglers.

Hatch Chart.
    http://www.roaringforkanglers.com/hatch-chart.htm

heads up. The cheapest place to buy food, gas, beer etc... is El Jebel. There's a strip mall there with everything. The closer you get to Aspen, the more expensive things get. My uncle lives in Woody Creek just about 30 yards from the Woody Creek Tavern. (the old web site was better) Be sure to check it out. Food's good. Very interesting place. You never know who you might bump into there. Very nearby is a nice access point on the Roaring Fork. (Walt Jaffe park )
    Last edited by Mato Kuwapi; 07-24-2012 at 07:24 PM.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

+ Reply to Thread