+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: South Platte carp

That's it...I'm going to heavier line. I thought 8 to 10 lb tippet would be heavy enough... The egg flies are getting carp to strike, but I think I've broken off at least 5 egg flies in the last week or so on carp hook-sets. I'm beefing up to 12 or 13 lb tippet!!

Also have to keep tying more eggs!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Palm Bay, Florida/Rock River Wyoming, USA

http://flytyingworld.com/PagesF/fredbridge.htm here's a link to the IPW aka the Infamous Pink Worm. one of Fred Bridges creations that are fish catching critters!
    Good Fishing,

Chuck S (der Aulte Jaeger)

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved"

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

Thanks Chuck, easy enough. I can't keep the bugles off the egg, but always game to try something different. I will give it a test.

Went this morning and managed three.....

I am dying to get out. Been traveling a bit so I wont get out for at least a week. My last fish on Monday:

My last big fish (for the record, I consider anything over 15 lbs big...this one was scaled at 22):

Can't help but look at the calendar and watch the season tick away!

Quote Originally Posted by john montana View Post
    I am dying to get out. Been traveling a bit so I wont get out for at least a week. My last fish on Monday:

My last big fish (for the record, I consider anything over 15 lbs big...this one was scaled at 22):

Can't help but look at the calendar and watch the season tick away!
    Ok, fo real though... How long was the fight with that 22 lber?
    All men are equal before fish.

-Herbert Hoover

Spare Time for Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
    http://flytyingworld.com/PagesF/fredbridge.htm here's a link to the IPW aka the Infamous Pink Worm. one of Fred Bridges creations that are fish catching critters!
    Just found that. It's great looking. Anyone tried it in another color?
    All men are equal before fish.

-Herbert Hoover

Spare Time for Fish

Quote Originally Posted by adglife View Post
    Ok, fo real though... How long was the fight with that 22 lber?
    Maybe a couple of minutes. I catch between 10-20 fish a year that weight over twenty lbs (usually one a year breaks 30) and while they all run deep into your backing and generally tear your up, they are still freshwater fish. It doesn't take 45 minutes or an hour to land a big carp, though I hear that all the time. I actually ran into a guy on the river last week that watched my buddy hook, land and release an 18 lber. He came down and told us the story of a 23 lb carp that took him "over and hour" to land and had to be "shot in the head with a pistol." Actual quotes, that guy cracked me up.

Carp fight as hard and take more line (due to sheer size and strength) than any freshwater fish, but about the only fish around here that could possibly take and hour to land is a 10 ft long sturgeon.

In my opinion, the 16-18 lb carp are the real athletes...they take way more line than a 20 plus lber.

I fished in a pond that is a cut off slew from the South Platte today. I could see tailing carp, but could not get them to take a fly, even with what I thought were good presentations. The water was pretty murky, so I thought of Fly Goddess's comment about how the water she fishes for carp is not clear. The light went on! I tied on one of her yellow glo-bug flies and caught this fish on the second cast. I guess you need something they can see when the water is cloudy. This same fly sent the fish in the river fleeing, but in the murky water, it was just the ticket. Thanks!

Tedphoto-16.jpg

Nice Ted! I slayed 'em yesterday on the big C. covered a lot of water, but found tons of feeding fish. ended the day with somewhere around 25 carp to hand...sore arms today! the two biggest were 23 lbs and 21 lbs.

+ Reply to Thread