+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone want to fish the Gunpowder (MD) this Sunday?

Default anyone want to fish the Gunpowder (MD) this Sunday?

My reg. fishin buddy can't make it, figured it would be a nice opportunity to meet some other locals. I'm in Catonsville...probably head out around 7 or 8 in the AM.

Marty

I can't take you up on it this weekend, but I have a sister in Hanover, Pa and when I get out there to see her the next time I'd love to check out the Gunpowder. We should stay in touch.

------------------
    These are the idle thoughts that posses a man's mind when he's not able to fish.

Can no do; maybe hook up with you some other time, although I don't get out much. The Gunpowder on a warm spring Sunday? Hmm, will be crowded. I usually set aside a weekday for there. Hope you get there and have a good time of it.

------------------
    Keepeth they back cast out of the freakin' flora.

You wanna talk about crowded, just think of what Deer Creek will be like this weekend. The shad are in and the fishing should be great thru the weekend. The only thing is it will be close quarters.

Jerry

------------------
    Dream the Life, Live the Dream
    Laugh at yourself first and all else falls into place
    Board of Directors, Valley Forge Trout Unlimited

[url=http://www.flyreeldots.com:2b420]FlyReelDots.com[/url:2b420]
    FAOL Sponsor
    Dream the Life ~ Live the Dream

I would love to! Please send plane tickets to me here in Dallas, tx. Man, to live in a place with water that actually moves!

Bring a bat so you can beat off all the rest of the fishermen and find some open water that hasnt already been trounced through by 20 other guys that day.

(The fishing has been good lately but the crowds have been outrageous, good luck)

Fished Deer Creek last four evenings. On three nights, fishermen were standing in three of my four favorite spots. On the fourth night, it was four for four.

Well, after careful consideration (not), I headed over to Backwater Angler and checked out a few 3wts while Theaux and the gang took report after report of good fishing. So I hit the river for just over 2 hours, and here's what happened.

I DID see two other flyguys. They caught fish. They did NOT fish near me. I fished one spot for most of the 2 hours, and managed FIVE fish. Now, this isn't a big deal. I was there on Easter sunday and caught well over a dozen. But each of these fish was over 12", the biggest being just a fin ray over 18. I even hooked a carp and nearly landed him on 6X...

Then I headed over to Panther Branch and got two tiny little brookies.

Not bad for a day that should have seen me beating off the crowd with a bat. I guess the only way to catch fish is to get your butt out there and do it. Unfortunately my job doesn't afford me the luxury of fishing during the week, so I have to wait for the weekend. Sure, I didn't get on the water until 4 o'clock yesterday, but what the heck. I'll take it.

Hope you guys had fun either sitting at home or fishing Deer Creek.

Marty
    MFTG

Lol, good report. I did fish and caught plenty of fish over the weekend. Sounds like you fished the lower section, good choice as the upper section parking lots have been full every weekend for the past couple months. I just dont fish the Gun on the weekends anymore (plenty of other great streams in the county with 0 fisherpeople).

Well, I gotta say I hit the river above Falls Rd...actually quite close to the dam. I wish gas wasn't so dang expensive or I'd be headed up there tonight! 35 miles one way from Catonsville...ugh

I've heard that the fishing has been excellent around Masemore, which I'm planning on fishing this weekend, but we'll see. Depends on how many guys I have to compete with :/

My guess is that the lower river is still seeing a lot of hendricksons and more and more caddis each day. that warming water will get the sulphurs out early, too. I can't wait for the sulphurs baby!!!

let me know if you're interested in meeting up sometime - we can share fish stories!

Marty

+ Reply to Thread