+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Don't let me near your rod!

Default Don't let me near your rod!

Man, one of thsoe stretches. First, I was fishing on a river near me. Got a trophy 5" shiner on a fuzzy bugger. After moving down, I got caught on somebody's else's line. In untangling that, I managed to snap the top section of my Orvis Trident. One of my favorites. Emailed Orvis, politely declined their offer to upgrade to a Helios for $325. Arranged for the $30 to repair my rod. I figure I saved $295, well minus shipping.
    So, today I'm seeing what rod to bring to on vacation in the RV. I do some fishing up on PEI and enjoy at least trying. So, you probably can see this coming, I was testing various reels on the LL Bean spinning rod and fly rod combo, 2 separate rods. Yup, pulling line at the top with one of the reels, SNAP, another tip section gone. The outfit only was $50 with the case, so now that I have calmed down, tomorrow I'll be MORE careful with the remaining rods to see what is goiing!
    So, if you see me - run!!
    Mike

Blog Entries

I live for guys like you.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Blog Entries

Well at least you didn't sit on the rod. I have a friend, who is also a FAOL'er, who upon occasion has been known to sit on his graphite rod. I gather the feeling of a graphite rod exploding under your rump is much worse than the sound of it exploding.

Larry ---sagefisher---

I lost my first rod to a rental car window auto-close feature this year. I liked that rod and will miss it a lot. But, mostly this experience reinforced my personal preference for inexpensive rods. I was sorry, but not distraught.

Brad

Back when I was a kid I was fishing with my dad and grandfather.
    As we went to move to a new location, all three rods when in the back of the Rambler wagon with the tips sticking out the tailgate window. For whatever reason, dad got in the car and put up the electric widow up.
    Three bamboo rods broken in one fell swoop
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

You don't have a patent on rod abuse.

I've managed to close the car door on a rod tip .... a couple of times ... and watch myself do it and powerless to stop myself! Then, there was the ceiling fan ... which was running ... and there I am fiddling around with this favorite rod, and what do I do ...? That's right, stick the tip right up into the fan right close to where it's turning. I can still hear the snap of that rod tip. But my favorite rod abuse trick is walking into a tree rod tip first - and I've done that more then once! I know, I know ... your supposed to walk amongst the trees with the rod pointed to the rear - But I didn't ... and I still don't. Fly rods were made to be paraded around held by their handle, rod tips pointed forward!

Man - a lot of ouchies here! Nice to know I'm not the only one who can snap a rod with abandon! Thanks for sharing the pain all!
    Mike

Went thru that a couple years ago. I lost/broke 3 rods in one year!
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

+ Reply to Thread