+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help

Could you tell the difference? You could tell the difference blindfolded, casting with your off hand even if you'd never picked up a tenkara rod before (same thing with a Daiwa vs. a TenkaraUSA rod). The rods designed for level lines are smoother and the ones designed for tapered lines are crisper. "Fit and Finish" is better all around. The grip has a nicer, more ergonomic shape. There are rings machined into the sections at the joints, which improves the overall curvature of the rod under load and reduces the chance for getting a stuck tip. The tip cap is fluted so you can insert the cap while you have your line still attached (as when moving a short ways along the streamside trail from spot to spot, greatly reducing the chance for a broken tip if a branch catches your line). Perhaps the biggest difference when fishing is that the rods are noticeably lighter - which is a major consideration if you have a 13' rod with no reel to act as a counterbalance.

It really is like the difference between a budget priced fly rod, a moderately priced fly rod and high end fly rod. You can catch fish with any of them, but you can notice and appreciate the difference.

When I bought my first Daiwa, I had not intended to go into the rod business. The rod was just so much nicer than any tenkara rod I'd fished before, though, and they weren't readily available here, so I decided to import them.
    Tenkara Bum

A piece of PVC pipe and two cap ends will suffice as a hardcase for any Tenkara rod and will cost you very little

CM Stewart ok I was just curious about that. Now one more thing, in your opinion which do you prefer a Furled line or a level line?

I prefer level, but you should try both. Some people like one, some like the other.
    Tenkara Bum

I prefer furled as I use my tenkara rods mainly for fishing for bluegills and use flies, especially small poppers, that are heavier and more wind resistant than many trout flies. However when using tenkara rods in the float tube I like hi-vis level lines because I'm making shorter casts and often troll between spots. I think level line is a little better for trolling.
    So you see I use both types of line. What I might suggest is to buy a good furled line and, if you can't afford to buy a specialized level tenkara line, go down to your local sporting goods store and buy some nice, soft monofilament or fluorocarbon line in the appropriate pound test.

Cycler68 ok thanks for the input. I'll keep that in mind.

You may want the warranty. I'm on my third tip for my 12' Iwanna. Dumb mistakes caused them to break, not fish.

billhouk

I'll definately keep that in mind.

+ Reply to Thread