+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Old question but maybe someone....

I was able to get out this past Tuesday with the glass-and-sylk for the 1st time in almost a year. Here's what I will add after an evening on the water with a DT3 line. When asked to do what it's meant to do....it's PERFECT. With a 5' furled thread leader, 4ft of 7x flouro and a 7' glass rod....it shines.

You can literally "flick" a roll cast 15-25' without a thought. And in tight quarters, it casts 10-30' like a dream......with a #12 and under dry fly.

If will not handle anything else. Go much bigger than a #12 standard dry....or add any weight with a nymph at all....and the line gives in completely. Not just a little....but pretty much becomes useless. I know for a fact that this rod will cast up to a DT 4wt Cortland 444. So it's not the rod. The Sylk does what it is designed to do....and does it well. But it will not stretch the abilities much at all.

That's not to say that I am unhappy with it. I love the line! But it is not the same as a standard new-gen floating line. I think that needs to be kept in perspective.

Back to the original point of the thread....the tip floated every bit as good as any other line I own.....on the short drifts of the small water I was using it. Having only 5-15' drifts at best.

Ralph

No vehicle wasnt damaged it wasnt locked.. and I have put the line back on my reel like I posted earlier and will give it another fair shot, ...and will also keep in mind its design for use along with the tips I'v gotten from this thread... :=)
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Ok" headed out into the hills this am to test out all that I learned in this thread" I will post my results here when I get back ... You folks have a great day !!!
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Ok Results are in... Tips I took: tye leader directly onto line.
    Super glue knot and end of line.
    Dress first 2 feet or so of line with Mucilin.

First couple of cast I was watching the tip thinking its gonna sink, 4 or 5th cast and ok wow way cool tip not sinking! line coming off water very smooth! not bringing half the river with it... ok I'm getting into enjoying casting the line realizing the tips not sinking! I"m starting to enjoy the smooth action of the line, when... This guy interrupts the test...

I get the silk thing now, finally, I should have followed basic instructions about the line from the start..lol oh well, I really like the line alot now I know how to use it, it will stay on my reel...

+ Reply to Thread