+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: any suggestions for articulated flies?

Before Kelly was tying articulated patterns (Please understand, I mean no disrespect to Kelly.), many others had paved the way. One of the best of these tyers was the late, great, innovative tyer and instructor, Michael Verduin. Amongst Micheal’s original patterns was the "Ball Joint Popper", which is an extremely effective articulated bass fly.

http://www.flyfishersrepublic.com/wp...r-ball-bug.jpghair-ball-bug.jpg

Even though they got the name wrong, the photo above is of a Ball Joint Popper tyed by Michael Verduin from the Fly Fisher's Republic article on this pattern: http://www.flyfishersrepublic.com/pa...hair-ball-bug/

Terry and Roxanne Wilson have written about a number of Micheal’s patterns in their warm water oriented books and articles: Bluegill Fly Fishing & Flies, Largemouth Bass Fly-Fishing: Beyond the Basics, Smallmouth Bass Fly Fishing: A Practical Guide. (I have all three books and they are all great!).

One of the Wilson's articles concerning this fly is quoted below:

"An alternative to conventional poppers came to us through the creative mind of the late Michael Verduin. A master tyer and well known to Federation conclave attendees, Michael created the “Ball-Joint Popper” to deal with those difficult mossed-in ponds of his native Texas in summer. First, he clipped a deer hair ball then attached splayed feathers to a shank of .014 stainless wire leader. He created a 3/16-inch diameter oval by putting both tag ends in the vice, and used a small Phillips screwdriver to form a loop in the wire. The feathered tail section is attached to the ball by a loop of 20-pound test mono. With very little manipulation the fly rocks and rolls within the weed pocket with the slightest rod tip twitch providing action to the feathered trailer even after action to the ball is suspended. That tantalizing action within the confines of a small weed pocket is a powerful inducement for big bass to attack the writhing mixture of feathers and deer hair."
    http://thebluegillpond.com/archived-...outhBuffet.pdf

Here is a short piece of video showing a Ball Joint Popper:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Verduin's+Ball+joint+bass+popper&view=det ail&mid=3C4736E4544DE71C72AB3C4736E4544DE71C72AB&f irst=0
    Last edited by bowfin47; 06-15-2012 at 05:38 PM.

i am confused, can u explain how these are tied? ive never seen flies like these before...
    Quote Originally Posted by pittendrigh View Post
    Snelled Hook Flies?

Roadkill Streamer

Slinkie

Pit Sticker

Sockeye Shiner
    if every cast caught a fish, it would be called "catching" not "fishing"

RE> "can u explain how these are tied?"

The roadkill streamer you can tie in your hands. Snell a hook. Skewer the hook into a fur strip (not a fresh one from the side of the road....that would be deeply sinful). Throw a surgeon's knot around the front end of the fur strip. Crimp on a split shot. The Roadkill Streamer is one of the best big fish flies there is. Seriously. OK. Serious is an oxymoron coming from me. But I mean it this time. This is no BS.
    http://montana-riverboats.com/index.php?fpage=Fly-Tying/Sandy-Pittendrigh/Roadkill-streamer.htm

The Sockeye Shiner takes a little more moxy. Put a thin #12 beading needle in the vise horizontally. You can get beading needles at a sewing store. Snell a hook, with a small model perfect loop up front. Learning how to snell a hook takes practice and determination (really, it's not easy to learn how to make a small loop and a fixed-length snell). But once you've got it you've got it. Lash the snell to the horizontal needle, just in front of the loop knot lump. Lash on some Crystal Flash and Pearl Ice Dub. Whip finish. Slide it off the needle. Crimp on a split shot, with a drop of CA glue in the crimp. Flatten the split shot with smooth face needle nose. Press on some stick on eyes (to the flattened split shot). Surround the eyes with CA glue, or epoxy.

RE> The Slinkie and Pig Sticker require mild Asperger's madness on the part of the fly tier. The photos show the Slinkie and Pig Sticker tied on a monofilament snell. The photos are old. I use woven dacron now, which is a lot more flexible. I made the following photos several years ago. Can't remember what it says. When I wind the end-to-end hackle I wind the thread with it. Tie off the hackle. And then wind the thread all the way back and all the way forward again, in order to lock the hackle down securely. Then I whip finish one last time and slide the whole works off the wire. A large hen hackle tail creates a fair amount of swim to the fly. On slow early season days on the Yellowstone, when the water is cold and the fish aren't actively looking and moving for midges, trolling a Pig Sticker behind a drift boat is one of the few things that will still dredge up a good brown trout. http://montana-riverboats.com/index..../The-Lathe.jpg
    Last edited by pittendrigh; 06-16-2012 at 10:40 AM.

i understand the lathe, but i have to say i never thought a fly tied on one would look anything like that... (read many topics on lathe's, never saw a finished product) thanks, as for snelling a hook... thats considered the strongest knot to tie a hook, (according to "knot wars") and the only way i tie my hooks for spin fishing anymore and the perfection loop, not a problem... i was one of those weird kids growing up, spent my time making and de-tangling knots for fun, with that in mind, knotting different lengths is never a problem... its amazing how useful it is knowing over 100 knots...

thanks, and as if u couldn't tell, i like your flies..

spoof
    Last edited by spoof85; 06-16-2012 at 06:48 AM.

Blog Entries

The Haymaker by Mark Hieronymus is a very effective leech pattern with a furled schlappen body, a wrap or two of marabou, a little Flashabou, and barbell eyes. Just spent the last week fishing them almost exclusively on the Kvichak River (outlet of Lake Iliamna) for large rainbows... Fished no more than four or five of them the entire week and only the straightening of two Daichii hooks retired them (not fond of Daichii right now)...

To do a proper how-to on the Haymaker is tough, though the fly is far easier to tie than it looks. Will see if I can put something together...

Hate to link an "other" website, but the designer of the Haymaker is posting there and has some pictures posted.
    http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/...atterns.70389/

The articulated body schlappen is tied to the trailer hook and spun with one side of the loop prior to attaching it to the sacrificial hook. After spinning the hook is brought to the side and the two ends of the articulation loop are brought together. When the hook is released the loop spins with the schlappen (simple furling) and creates a durable, deadly leech body...

art

see if u can get something together, i think i get how to do it, looks awesome.

i have searched high and low since u posted, and there is no video, or step by step for this body style...

Default Crystal Rattlesnake Streamers.

I like to tie Crystal Rattlesnake Streamers; favorite is Mottled Olive/Amber Crystal Rattlesnake, and Black/Red Crystal Rattlesnake (tied with Swarovski Crystals. Black/Blue Crystal for Bass; White/Clear Crystal for Steelhead. This is a variation off the Original Rattlesnake in Modern Streamers for Trophy Trout. I just added the Color/Light refraction factor. It has turned into a pattern that is beyond deadly for Trophy size fish. You can polay with all types of variations (Flo-Pink/Red Crystal....etc.).

Blog Entries

Spoof
    I did the how-to on a seperate thread so it did not sidetrack your questions. Please tell me if you find it user-friendly... or not...
    art

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Here's one of my best articulated patterns...the Articulated Angleworm.

ArticulatedAngleworm.jpg

My next best pattern is just three Woolly Buggers hooked together at the hook bends. I tie the tail on the last one a little bit extra long.

+ Reply to Thread