+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: job posting/ should I go for it?

Default job posting/ should I go for it?

Ok totaly not FF related but I always love the advice from the board members. so here goes....longish story.

As of Friday I can offically leave my current job with benefits.
    I teach Culinay Arts one day a week at the local Community college also. last year the school hired a full time instructor for the same area I teach, my class is basically an overflow class but we have become the class to take as it has a more real world experience to it.
    due to my full time position I could not at the time allpy for the full time job.
    the person teaching the full time class ws ona one year probation. well that year is up and they have reposted the job as a formality. Now I know the full time guy and he's a decent enough instructor but I realy think I bring more to the table.
    so the million dollar question is ... do I go for it? and what happens to the other guy if I get it? i don't want any profesional back stabbing later on.
    The only things we permanently keep, are those we give away-Waite Philips

It sounds like something you really love doing which is a rarity for most jobs. You should also consider what you can bring to the class room and what is best for the students.

Go for it. The students would benefit from your instruction in something you love to do.

Rocky

I agree with Jack, it sounds as if you truely enjoy teaching the class so GO FOR IT.
    Wyo-Blizzard

NewTyer 1 Guest

First off, in the working world, you don't worry about what happens to the other guy. Yah it sucks for him but, you need to do what's right for you. Another thing to consider, and this is happening here in VA. I don't know how your budget is there but, they have cut a ton of teacher jobs even ones that seem to be important to the welfare and learning of students. With budget cuts happening all the time, how secure do you feel the position will be? Can you sign a contract for multipule years. Say 1-5 years with cost of living increases, guaranteed employment and what have you. I love kids/young adults and would love to be a teacher but, is it salary and if so, is there an increase. There is a lot to ponder but, ultimately you have to make the final dicision for what is best for you. I would atleast guarantee that your position will be locked in for how ever many years you can. Good luck and please let us know what your dicision(I need to go to school to learn how to spell this word)

If his one year probabtion is up and they did not let him go then it seems to me that they intend to keep him. After all posting the job is just a "formality". Personally I would let it go.

If they have that many students that you are teaching the "over flow" then there may be a possibility that they could create another full time position. The Culinary Arts program at our local community college has a two year waiting list. They use to have two full time instructors. But, over the past several years they have added three additional full time positions.

Just something to think about.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Go with your gut. Seriously, your gut instincts are your best guide, always. Good luck!

Why would they post a job as formality? If they have the right teacher for the job there is no need to. If I were that other instructor I take that as a sign to start looking elsewhere. Very unprofessional in my view. Do you really want to work at a place that has very little regard for its employee by posting a job opening when it is already filled?
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I think that all the previous answers missed the main question. Will this job cut into your fishing time?????
    On a serious note if you want it go for it. If they were that happy with the other guy they wouldn't have posted the job. At least by throwing your hat into the ring you show them that you're interested in the position..

Sometime, particularly with government jobs like schools, there is a legal requirement to post a position. Same thing with some corporations. If they put it in their procedures manual to post all available positions and do not do so, they are open to spending money defending a lawsuit. The truth about the job is no one really knows all the factors, including yourself and will not know if you should have taken the job for several months or years.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread