+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nail Knot Tool ... best/easiest to use?

Default Nail Knot Tool ... best/easiest to use?

Decided to stop using loop to loop (line to leader) and just nail knot the leader directly to the end of the line.
    Which tool do you find makes this chore easiest and produces the best results?

I have looked on the web but cannot find a real simple old version I have seen guys use in flyshops ... it is simple, flat, and no gizmos but I cannot find it on the web.

Try this one. Looks pretty simple to me
    [url=http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=22917&hvarDept=175&hvarE vent=&hvarClassCode=3&hvarSubCode=3&hvarTarget=bro wse:fc9e2]http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=22917&hvarDept=175&hvarE vent=&hvarClassCode=3&hvarSubCode=3&hvarTarget=bro wse[/url:fc9e2]

Ken,
    The Tie-Fast tool that Anthony showed is by far the easiest to use tool I have tried. With this tool, I am capable of tying a nail knot in 30 seconds. Tie-Fast also makes a multipurpose tool that is basically a set of nippers with a smaller version of the Tie-Fast Knot Tyer added to it. This tool can also be had with hook sharpening file and hook eye cleaner.

Larry Compton

Ditto....

And I always have that multi-purpose tool on my lanyard.

Ken,
    I have one that does ok but since I've tried this one a few times on practice lines...this is the EASIEST nail knot tool to use . And the CHEAPEST...

Watch it and try a few knots. Really simple! Just remember to twist at the end!
    [url=http://flyfisherman.com/skills/jb4knots/:88d04]http://flyfisherman.com/skills/jb4knots/[/url:88d04]

Jeremy.

The cheapest is a nail....

The cheapest I've seen so far is a short piece of one of those small diameter coffee strirrers that look like miniature straws.

Lay it along side the fly line, wrap the leader around it and pass the tag end back through the stirrer. Pull the straw out as you snug up the knot (this is why you want the small diameter stirrers...less slack as you pull it out).

I didn't invent it, but I have used it and it works fine. No cost either.

[This message has been edited by Thwack (edited 29 April 2006).]

I've been using the tie fast tool and it works very well. I also tried a two inch section of a bic pen ink cartidge (empty). It's like using a straw only more sturdy. HOWEVER, I have a video that came with my first flyrod combo (Walmart $37.00) that shows how to tie a nail knot without a tool!I just went back and payed attention and found that it is really easy.
    I will try to explain.
    line up your leader and fly line parallel to each other, fly line pointing left, leader pointing right about four inches past the tag of the fly line. Pinch the leader and the fly line between your left thumb and forefinger (allow about an inch of flyline to extend into the gap between your thumb and forefinger) and wind the leader going right--> around the line five times. You should have enough leader left to make a fairly large loop up counterclockwise and down in a complete circle and laying alongside the inch of flyline you have in the gap between your left thumb and forefinger. Hold this together now and with your right hand grab the big loop you created and unwind the five loops you originally made. This unwinding should cause the leader to wind over the fly line and the leader your holding in your left hand. Do this five times. If you did it right you will have a flyline tag pointing left and a leader tag pointing right. Carefully snug them up and you have a nail knot with no tools.

------------------
    He died for me, so I could live for Him.
    He gave His life for me, so I could give mine to Him.
    He became like me, so I could become like Him.

I use a cotter pin

------------------
    "The day after tomorrow is the third day of the rest of your life"
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Not that I have alot of time at tying a nail Knot but I bought a fast knot tool 2 years ago .. works great if you can remember how to use it ... keep the directions for reference .I had to make a nail knot on the stream one time when a splice pulled out.What a pain in the bum.Fast tie tool is pretty easey.

------------------
    The more time I spend around people the more I like my dog.

Mike

+ Reply to Thread