+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Smoked Trout

After my first experience with very little brine, I don't see the necessity.

Because I am a neophyte, please explain the need for sugar in a fish brine
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Just adds a nice flavor! If you are hot smoking you do not need to brine the fish as such, just rub on some salt and sugar if using and let it sit for half an hour before smoking. A hot smoke should take no more than half an hour a cold smoke can take up to 24 hours, but probably more likely 8 hours or so. If smoking to preserve then the fish should be very well air dried after brining before smoking.
    The sugar in my view really makes the fish taste good, I find if I do not use sugar the fish tastes only of the bitter salt and smoke, but with the sugar the salty smokey flavor is much improved. It goes very well with a single Malt!
    As usual it is all down to taste, if you like your fish done without sugar, go for it!
    All the best.
    Mike

Man, you guys have me thinking. I just got a new grill/smoker for Fathers Day. I think I'm going to have to give it a try. Thanks for the recipe Jeff!

TT.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderthumbs View Post
    Man, you guys have me thinking. I just got a new grill/smoker for Fathers Day. I think I'm going to have to give it a try. Thanks for the recipe Jeff!

TT.
    Take a look at the Luhr Jensen Little Chief smoker. I've used mine for years and it does a great job.

Dave

Oh, I have it already. This is it behind my jeep...its a beast! It has a propane grill on the left and a charcoal grill/smoker on the right. I can't even begin to tell you how much fun I've had experimenting with smoking different foods since I got it.

new phone pictures 382.jpg

TT--small world. that is the exact smoker I used to make the trout.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Here is a nice book on the subject.

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/fishing...510100003.aspx

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

maodiver,

LOL, it is a small world. I LOVE my grill/smoker. I even built my wife a 12x14 ft patio to put it on, lol.
    Can't wait to have a look at that book too, Brad.
    TT.

"Just thought I would pass along my first experience with smoking trout ..."

Immediate thought to this first sentence is ... 'You're going to need a bigger piece of wrapping paper'. Second thought, 'maybe you should grind the trout up before putting it in wrapping paper prior to smoking?' Third thought ... 'Forget first two thoughts and just enjoy the trout.

Allan

The purpose of the brining is, in part, to remove any muddy flavours. Also, when you add the spices and herbs to the brine, the point is that the brine will get drawn into the fish and take with it some flavourings. The salt and sugar, which is usually added post-brine for a bit, pulls more water out of the fish and pulls the salt and sugar into the fish. This helps to firm up the flesh a bit (so that it flakes nicely after it's smoked) and to pull the salt and sugar into the flesh. Often, the excess is washed off the fish, so only that which is drawn into the flesh remains to provide the flavour during cooking.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

+ Reply to Thread