+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fly Fishing at night

Hey guys, just wanted to report that night bass fishing was an absolute success! In fact, while fishing a Dirty Rat with a rabbit tail (Thanks, Jim!), I had a bass come up from directly below the fly, become airborn, and fall directly down in the water. One of the best takes ever. I hooked him right in the tongue, so boy did he move! He became airborn several times. Great fight. Thanks for the pointers, everybody! Caught two good sized bass and a nice greenie. Shredded the foam face on my mouse. Badge of honor.

And once again, thanks Jim for the materials. That rabbit really makes a difference on the tail.
    All men are equal before fish.

-Herbert Hoover

Spare Time for Fish

Here in Louisiana and the rest of the deep South, you'll also have to add:

#8 The alligators are are out and active, and they are protected by law...

#9 The alligator snapping turtles are out and active.

#2 (Modified) Water moccasins are traveling around at night... And please understand Uncle Jesse is correct, in that moccasins like to eat the fish on your stringer. In addition, they are always looking for a something sticking out of the water to rest upon. Moccasins also like to rest upon low-hanging branchs and have been known to drop into your boat. When that happens be sure to use a wooden paddle to dispatch them, as a gunfire may kill the snake, but it is hell on your watercraft!
    Last edited by bowfin47; 06-08-2012 at 01:14 PM.

"Moccasins also like to rest upon low-hanging branchs and have been known to drop into your boat"

and for some unknown reason, they do not like where they have landed in your boat and will immediately go looking for another spot in your boat and they are fast movers!! : )
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

If you are fishing in an area where there a lot of bugs flying around at night you may want to consider a wide-brimmed hat...it was the only way I could keep bats from coming so close to that I could feel/hear their wing beats near my ears. Also if you catch a bat with your smaller flies (trout fishing) reel them in to the tip of rod, drown them, pull of extra line, cut off the tippet and start over.

Turvy, There is no need to drown the bat. According to a bat researcher I discussed this with if you just cut the tippet as short as you are comfortable with the bat will work the hook out; especially with barbless hooks.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

NewTyer 1 Guest

I wouldn't want to kill a bat either, they are good for the bug population. What I would do is make sure I have a pair of heavy gloves somewhere and use the hemostats to dislodge the hook. Always debard your hooks unless you are taking the fish home, and that will also make it easier to get out of the bat as rainbowchaser has stated

Easier said than done. I worry about being bitten and have to go through rabies shots. In the seven or eight years I night fished (about twice a week during the summer and fall) I only "caught" three bats. I know by the number of bats that flew around me through all those years that I didn't put a dent in their population. I am a catch and release fisherman...bats are another thing. I now longer night fish as the area that I now smallmouth fish is too dense and steep to get out of without a little more light than a flashlight can provide. Didn't mean to get something started here...I just thought the wide-brim hat idea could put a fisherman more at east while fishing.

The other problem with killing bats is that bats are protected by federal and many (most?) state's regulations. It is a federal violation to use chemicals—including insecticides, rodenticides, disinfectants, and mothballs—to kill bats (http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat.../hunt/nongame/)

I'd agree with rainbowchaser and just cut the leader...

Tony,

Glad that you had a good time and had some luck. There's something special about night fishing, an added element of surprize I guess. I'm also glad that the rabbit worked out. It's the most useful and versatile tying material that I've ever used.

Jim

I like fishing at night myself in lakes... Im usually fishing for crappie, bluegill or bass when i flyfish at night... I find for bass the darker colour flies work better and the fly of choice is a frogg or popper... For bluegill and crappie at night, its glow in the dark flies... A small streamer fly for crappie and dries for the bluegill... Glow in the dark threads i find at wallyworld or a sewing shop and the materials what is glow in the dark comes from ebay or grey wolf fly shop...
    A.S.F 5th GP ...TO FIGHT SO OTHERS MAY REMAIN FREE...

+ Reply to Thread