+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Popular Priced Fly Lines

Common sense might tell you that in fly casting, the rod is the most important element. It may be, or it may not be. If the fly line is not the most important, it comes in a darn close second. My point is, the vast majority of fly casters put far more attention to the selection of a fly rod than the fly line. I suppose difference in cost would account for that, but add up the cost of the fly lines you own, and you better be sitting down when you do...

Quotation from [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/cst/cst111197.html:51069]"Oh What a Line!" by James Castwell, November 3rd, 1997[/url:51069]

Gatabout:

Thanks. You have convinced me, I just ordered one to try. I have not tried the Air Cell SA line and it seems to have a satisfied following like yourself.

Parnelli:

Thanks for the quote from JC. With the cost of lines going up $5 -$10 per year it seems, I am not sure I can justify the latest and greatest fly line for trout, bass and panfish. Maybe if I am going for that once in a lifetime bonefish or tarpon!

Thanks for all the very helpful comments!

Dr Bob
    Bob Widmaier

My biggest fear when I die is that my wife will sell my fly fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it!

I just bought a Cortland 444 Clear Creek WF4F in a drab olive colour for my 9'6". Love it so far. Nice slick coating, feels almost 'oily', but can't comment on the longevity as I've only used it the once. Cost in the UK was about ?35 - IIRC you pay roughly $1 for each ?1 we spend on fishing gear - so somewhere between $35 and $40 should be about right.

HTH,

SA, GPX or Ultra 4 i will by nothing else.

OK JC,
    Now gadabout's doing it! Tyrone oh Tyrone...[G]

Good choice Dr. Bob. Make sure you get the Air Cel Supreme 2, not the regular Air Cel. The regular Air Cel is an OK line but it is a bit too stiff. The Supreme is nice and supple.

If they feel all bumpy have you tried to stretch them out before hand? it might fix the problem. I use the Cabelas 3wt line that came with my combo 4 yrs ago and it still does a good job. But then again I haven't got to fish like I use to. The Cabelas line feels like wire early in the morn when the temp is down but a good stretch and that is solved. I've been wanting to get a few Dorber lines to try myself so any input on them would be good . Thanks Matt AKA... STONEFLY71

------------------
    To each there own !

You might try the Cortland Factory Store [url=http://www.cortlandline.com/factorystore/:19d0d]http://www.cortlandline.com/factorystore/[/url:19d0d] I've gotten some good buys there.

Mike

+ Reply to Thread