+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question on Aunt Lydias Yarn?

Default Question on Aunt Lydias Yarn?

Hi All,

There used to be quite a bit of interest in tying with Aunt Lydias sparkle yarn. I can't remember whether if it was rug yarn or what.

At any rate, I have some heavy yarn, perhaps rug yarn, and I have separated the yarn into individual strands of yarns, 3 of which are twisted together to make the final strand of yarn. I have taken the strand of yarn, and then used a bodkin to separate the stand into its individual fibers.

The separated fibers have a lot of sparkle, and I am thinking about using them to tail a few buggers to test. They look like they would make a very sparkling tail to the bugger. I am also interested in finding some more of this sparkle yarn. It kind of resembles zelon.

Unfortunately I don't think I have the description of the original sparkle yarn.

Do any of you know what they call this sparkle yarn. Is it called sparkle yarn, and what is it made from?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf

Blog Entries

I have found the best "yarn" for flies like LaFontaine's Sparkle Pupa is a material I got from Ben Franklin called "Dazzleaire". It can also be bought on line or even through eBay.

When you get it, cut it in pieces about 1/4 to 1/2 inch long, and then put the cut pieces in a coffee blender and run it about 10 seconds and you will have a wonderful dubbing material!!!!

I have Aunt Lydias and Dazzleaire. The Dazzleaire is much finer than Aunt Lydias. It is good for dubbing and for the veiling of the Sparkle Pupa.

I don't think Aunt Lydia is made anymore. It is stiffer and has been bought up by salt water fly tiers for Del Brown's Merkin. It is more like the antron and zelon sparkle fibers.

http://books.google.com/books?id=tHF...a yarn&f=false

http://keywestflyfishing.com/permitfly.htm
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

La aFontaine's wed site still sells sparkle yarn. Check it out. I searched on the "book Mailer"

The sparkle yarn from the Bookmailer is quite soft, not like zelon. Think the best use for it is the sparkle pupa veil.

Hi Silver Creek,

Do you know the name of the Aunt Lydias that is like the antron or Zelon, and has that look and sparkle. I am looking for it for tailing streamers. I took a stremer out this evening that I had tied with some of the yarn that I think was Aunt Lydias to see how it looked. I tied in some fox tail with it, and it looked like it had moderately good to good movement.

At any rate, there are different types of Aunt Lydias yarn. I have some of the Aunt Lydias Rug Yarn, and the material I have does not have sparkle. However, I have some that has great sparkle, like Zelon, but the label was gone, so I don't know exactly what it was called, but believe it was Aunt Lydias.

Thus, I need the particular name of the product, so that I can distinguish it from the other types of Aunt Lydias yarn.

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

It is Aunt Lydias Rug Yarn. I have several skeins of it, and they all have the sparkle in them. Gary LaFontaine's "Sparkle Yarn" has Antron in it; NOT Zelon (see:Caddisflies, Gary Lafontaine, pg35.)

+ Reply to Thread