+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement for Stowaway-7?

Default Replacement for Stowaway-7?

Totally my fault, but I just busted the second from top section of my beloved spigot ferrule Cabelas Stowaway 7 4-weight. Broke my rod and broke my heart. This rod had the perfect action for me and now I need to replace it.

Does anybody have a reco for a very similar rod? I'd like to go fishing again before one turns up on e-Bay.

Many thanks!

Sorry for your loss. Any chance that Cabelas can replace the broken section?

Regards,
    Scott

They said they couldn't.

That stinks. Also doesn't bode well for my 5pc Stowaway; guess I'm going to have to treat it with TLC.

Regards,
    Scott

They discontinued the Stowaway 7 a few years ago. Their site says they don't repair rods or offer replacement parts, unless they happen to have a spare part they can salvage from a return. since they only sello
    Stowaway 6's these days, you'd better treat your 5 right!

If you difinitely want to purchase from Cabela's, or if you trust that the Stowaway 6 will have similar action to the Stowaway 7, then I guess you will shop at Cabela's. Nothing wrong with that. However, being from Canada, I have to pay taxes and duty when purchasing from the States, that I don't have to pay when purchasing from England.

As a result I have a 7pc Flextec rod. I think the linked review on the rod page is accurate, and if what you liked was the small package this may work for you - or your budget. Today, 50Lb Sterling equals about $78.50US. Two other club members here in Toronto have the same model (although the 9ft 6/7) and would agree as well. Another member has a couple of their 'standard' 4pc models and quite likes them, and I admit they are stiffer and faster - and he likes them a lot. I have purchased 2 or 3 things from TackleDiscounts and they have all promptly and well packaged. Since you are odering into the States YMMV. Cheers, Greg

Thanks, Greg! An interesting rod I had never heard of before. Unfortunately, not available in a 4-weight and I am really focused on that. A 4 is the perfect rod for Colorado rivers and streams, unless it is blowing hard or I am throwing really heavy flies, in which case I move up to my 6-weight.

Aren't the March Brown rods available in 7pc? Seems like they were nicely discounted on Sierra Trading Post.

Mikey
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

Quote Originally Posted by oldfrat View Post
    Unfortunately, not available in a 4-weight and I am really focused on that. A 4 is the perfect rod for Colorado rivers and streams
    Well there is an 8ft 4/5 wt, but perhaps that is too short for Colorado.

I have one friend with a March Brown rod, and she likes it fine.

Hi Oldfrat,

I had a 7&1/2' 4 wt stowaway, and really liked it. I broke the tip section on mine. Like you, I soon found out that Cabalas doesn't fix them.

Regards,

Gandolf

+ Reply to Thread