+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think I found my boat but want to know what you about buyi

nighthawk Guest

Default I think I found my boat but want to know what you about buyi

While driving along a secondary highway to the local pharmacist today we passed a canoe for sale. I pulled over to give it a gander and write down the phone number. I don't know much about this make and need your advice about buying it.

The canoe is a 13' "contour" with a stern transom mount for a motor and fiber glass hull. There are no signs of repairs, holes, deep gouges, dry rotting or cracks anywhere on the canoe. Just a few light scratchs on the bottom from normal use. I turned the canoe over to inspect the interior. The seats are wicker on beautiful wood frames. No splitting, rotting or damage to the seats. Beautiful varnish. No cracks, scratches, gouges, dry rotting or stains on the interior of the canoe. The gunwales and floatation are in very good condition. The keel is very good, bow undamaged and there is no evidence that the canoe was banged into docks. Color is bright and clean.

Here are the extras that come with the canoe: Anchor, wood paddles, aluminum paddles, electric trolling motor, PFD seat cushions, two camo PFD vests and roof top carying system for my newer cars.

The gent that owns the canoe is in his sixties. Both he and his wife are disabled. He is selling the boat because they need money and he can no longer use the canoe.

Oh yea, the price. $225.00 for the entire set up.

As always I value any thoughts or advice you all would have about this.

Thanks folks.

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

American veteran and proud of it!

Eric,

From the sounds of it, with all of the extras included, it's a steal!

It comes with the trolling motor! and is in perfect condition in every way!, heck he probably will throw in the battery and charger if you ask!

How could you leave without shoving money in his pocket!

If this is the kind of boat you've been looking for, I'd go back immediately and buy it.

No wait, I'd RUN!!!! And hurry the hell up before you have a reason to kick yourself for the whole fishing season while your walking the banks!

If it's still there when you get back, I'd beg him to take your money, and offer him an apology for leaving in the first place. I'd then load it up and get the hell out of there before he changed his mind!

Just my .02 worth!
    "The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be." - John Gierach

Eric,

In all honesty...If you can afford to...Please pay the older gentleman a bit more than that....as I'd have to guesstimate the value at well over a grand....but that would be entirely up to you!!!

But It is certainly well worth far more than that price...
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

a terrible deal... just terrible... why...give me his name and address so I can go over there and tell him what I think of him trying to lure unsuspecting folk into a terrible, terrible deal...imagine, only two pfds...why the nerve of some people...I suppose the trolling motor doesn't even have foot controls...
    mcsteff
    p.s. I would strongly agree with bill about raising the price.

What's the guys name? I'll call him and check it out for you. lol. It sounds like an excellent deal.

I'd run back and buy it and I'd consider giving the guy an extra $50 if you can afford it and he really is needy.... UNLESS.....

unless you think that what you want to do is have a boat to actually paddle with canoe paddles more than for very short paddles on very still water. Because with that flat stern, you won't want to paddle it for much distance or speed. But it doesn't sound like that's your interest anyway! Go. Run. Pay. Boat.
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Eric,
    Unless the thing weighs a ton, jump all over it! The accessories alone are orth more.
    BTW, I'm with Bill Knepp on this...if you don't pay him extra, try to do something nice...pies, fish filets, etc....just a small extra "thank you" for an unbelievable deal.
    Keep us posted!
    Mike

------------------
    You can call me Mike & you can call me Mikey..Just remember that this site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

nighthawk Guest

When I talked to this gent earlier he related to me that his fishing buddy, his lab, had passed away recently. Now, I am nowhere as cute as a lab, LoL, but I am going to offer this fellow a new fishing buddy. Money is tight for us right now, however I have been known to send cards with financial rewards when I get a few extra bucks to folks that need help. I was also taught to be quite handy at repairs around the house by my dad. I will offer my services to the gent. Amy and I were raised by "old fashioned", loving, hard working parents. We will do right by these folks.

Most of you know my faith from my postings. Earlier this year I gave up my boat money to get a computer to help Amy rehabilitate form her spinal injury. I believe that He has guided me to this gent as I was guided to this board at one of the worst times in a parents life. Life is grand and I do so enjoy helping others. I promise you all that I will do my best to help this gent and his wife with their needs.

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

American veteran and proud of it!

nighthawk,
    Sounds like a great deal! I would definitely
    go for it myself, even though I own one canoe already.
    Bryan

Hi Nighthawk,

If you havn't gone back and picked up the
    canoe yet, your probably too late.*G* Deals
    like that don't stay around long. Good luck
    buddy. Hope it works out for you and the
    seller both. Sounds like a great deal for
    you and a good home for the boat, and
    perhaps even a new friendship.*G* Warm
    regards, Jim

+ Reply to Thread