+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "New" vs "old" mayfly classifications

Quote Originally Posted by fishbum View Post
    You folks are making this harder than it has to be. A rose by any other name is still a rose.

For what it is worth, a trout can be caught on Lumbricus terrestris anywhere.
    They tend to fly off on the backcast.

the only reason I got involved in bugs was while I 'm doing a macroinvertebrate study to monitor stream health.

Hi FISHN50,

I actually fish the Musky (the TCA mostly), although I live closer to the lower Musky (Rt.78 to mouth). I also fish Pohatcong Creek, with an occasional visit to the Pequest, SBR & PA (Lil Lehigh, Bushkill, etc.).. FYI, the size 14 BWO was hatching last week (mid to late morning), with many fish rising to them. I cut my flyfishing teeth at the old Musky No-Kill stretch in Hackettstown, before the TCA was established.
    For a real challenge, try ice fishing with dry flies.

just fish!
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

Taxonomic revisions are not only "pre-DNA" and "post-DNA" although it certainly is keeping academic eggheads employed lately. Pick a taxonomic group of any living thing (except, of course, the genus Homo which is too politically incorrect and professionally suicidal to look at) and rest assured there is a group of people in university labs (or on "research trips" .... ) working on their own spin of genus and species within the group. Butterflies and moths, even groups which are extremely well studied, are constantly being revised. If you add the imaginary(?) concept of subspecies into the mix, it's never agreed upon.

It's getting to be totally insane, because multiple teams can be working independently on the same group of organisms, then publish things separately where they change the taxonomic organization in different ways. Even the way DNA relationships are interpreted varies. People become very passionate about it.

"COMMON NAMES" of most things are just flat useless when trying to talk about specific insects... "slate gray drake" could mean anything to anyone. Does it matter to the fish? no. Does it matter to most fishermen? no.

Blog Entries

Keep in mind that if I am PhD candidate "Dewey Reed" in grad school and I can change the name or genus etc... of a species in my area of study, I have the subject of my thesis. After I defend my thesis and complete all of the other requirements, I become Dr. Dewey Reed (work it out phonetically). If I have no great ambition in life, I can pursue a associate or assistant professorship at Directional State University. (You know what "directional schools" are, they are the smaller and usually less prestigious schools in the states' university systems. They are schools like North Central Pollyanna State University.) From there, I can spend the reset of my life making a modest but easy living, researching topics that interest me, and flirting with college students. The changes in taxonomy have been going on since before I was in school.

Ed
    Last edited by EdD; 05-21-2012 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EdD View Post
    Keep in mind that if I am PhD candidate "Dewey Reed" in grad school and I can change the name or genus etc... of a species in my area of study, I have the subject of my thesis. After I defend my thesis and complete all of the other requirements, I become Dr. Dewey Reed (work it out phonetically). If I have no great ambition in life, I can pursue a associate or assistant professorship at Directional State University. (You know what "directional schools" are, they are the smaller and usually less prestigious schools in the states' university systems. They are school like North Central Pollyanna State University.) From there, I can spend the reset of my life making a modest but easy living, researching topics that interest me, and flirting with college students. The changes in taxonomy have been going on since before I was in school.

Ed
    Right on the money except for the money. You didn't mention the part about sucking money from the public to pay for your research of frivolous subjects that nobody really cares about. Let me see, how much was spent a few years ago on the sex life of five spotted lady bugs?

+ Reply to Thread