+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Orvis Helios

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDun View Post
    I've heard that they have the same blanks, but to me, they do not cast the same. The Helios has a faster recovery rate than the Hydros......not sure if paint, cork, and hardware would make that much difference, but it was a noticeable difference.
    What I have heard is that the Hydros does feel a bit stiffer than the Helios, not because of differences in the blank, but because unlike the Helios it doesn't have the flexible Recoil guides. The stiffer guides stiffen the whole rod just a bit. I have cast them both (and bought the Hydros as mentioned above), but not at the same time so I couldn't do a close comparison. All I can say is they felt similar.

I agree, but pretty sure it is the paint. I think the mind has a lot to do with it too, but not 100% on that. Plus the weight difference will make it feel different no matter what.

Orvis has done much the same with many of their lines over the years. The Superfine rods vs the Silver Label/Rocky Mt as an example. Exact same blanks, but half the value in hardware and corl for a nice price.

...and I've heard same taper, different blend of graphite. Doesn't really matter because they do NOT cast the same, and the weight makes all the difference, if you can afford it...

Our club had an outing a couple of months back where the local Orvis fly department manager brought out a dozen or two rods for us to try out. Everything from their entry level to the Helios and many in between. Luckily for this Scotsman, the rod that worked best for my casting style was under $ 200 retail. I think it was the Clearwater line in a 6 weight. Great news for me!

Cmcculloch....I just did pretty much the same at a shop...ended up buying the 8'6" 4wt Clearwater. Liked it above all of them!

Quote Originally Posted by NJTroutbum View Post
    Cmcculloch....I just did pretty much the same at a shop...ended up buying the 8'6" 4wt Clearwater. Liked it above all of them!

How do they compare to the ones that use to be made in the USA? I had on of the older ones. A Nine foot mid-flex 5 wt. Sweet rod. But I was fishing yesterday usin the older Trident 6 wt and I picked up the Helios 6 wt and remembered why I bought it. Sooooo light.

I personally feel that the fit, finish and cast is much improved over the original Clearwater and Clearwater II. I "almost" bought the Clearwater II 7'9" 5wt, and the 7' 4wt.....but felt the materials were sub-par. The 2012 Clearwater is every bit as well built as their Power Matrix rods were. That is the closest thing that comes to mind.

Thanks. I have not cast any of the Asian made Orvis rods, but that Power Matrix helps.

Interesting and helpful discussion! I did buy the 8wt and it, a Sage Xi2 9wt and me will be on the way to RI. Thanks Dave

+ Reply to Thread