+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever?

Default Have you ever?

This morning I pulled into a local fishing access lot and saw the truck of another fisherman I have have run into a couple times at this local stream. As I started my way down the trailI heard a chain saw running. When I got to the bottom of the trail I saw Tim the owner of the truck in the stream cutting up a large maple tree that had fallen into the stream.It was lying across one of the better pools. I put down my rod and helped him remove the tree from the stream for the next hour.Has anyone else ever taken care of a problem similar to this?

Yes Willow it was up by Bear Track Campground on the Little Manistee River in Michigan. My favorite group of 4H kids doing some clean up work.

By the way, welcome back and join us in the chat room any time around 9pm your time.

On a smaller scale, some times. I always wondered if it would be considered "improving one's lie" by removing downed tree limbs from a stream to make it easier to cast and get a good drift? Guess I figure I'm helping the next fisherman that works the spot; trout probably prefer the extra cover.

Regards,
    Scott

No. While I am not against stream improvement projects, I wonder if removing a tree that has fallen into the stream really an improvement. After all, that tree could have provided a good hide to protect trout from predators.

Just my 2cents.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

NewTyer 1 Guest

While I have never taken place in stream improvement projects, I always carry a trash bag and pick up the trash that people leave behind. This is one of my pet peeves. Why is it that people are so damned lazy and disrespectful that they feel the need to leave there trash for everyone to enjoy, same thing with cigarette butts. Although I am a smoker, it has never crossed my mind to through the butt onto the ground or throw it into a stream and that goes for on the street also. I do what we call in the Army, field dressing it which you empty the tobacco and put the rest in my pocket until I get to a place I can properly dispose of it. Man, people can really erk me sometime.

I am getting ready to turn in my application to my local chapter of TU and look forward to doing some improvement projects on our local waters.

Hell no! And unless your a fish bio you shouldn't either. Removing falling trees is harmfull not helpfull. They reheb streams/river by putting in fallen trees, not removing them.

Here in Washington State you might get a heavy fine. It is illegal to remove fallen trees from the stream.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

I think there is a big difference between cleaning up a stream from man made debre and removing something the fell in the stream naturally, in this case a tree. Clean up the man made clutter and leave nature alone.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by NewTyer 1 View Post
    I do what we call in the Army, field dressing it which you empty the tobacco and put the rest in my pocket until I get to a place I can properly dispose of it. Man, people can really erk me sometimes.
    Although I have never smoked an entire cigarette I picked up a lot of butts in the 23 years I spent in the National Guard. Thank you for explaining what I remember as field stripping a cigarette butt. I think you should have to return 20 butts and the pack to buy another pack of cigarettes.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

It wasn't to long ago, there was quite a flap out here about an outfitter whose employee decided to remove some shoreline - cast inhibiting vegetation that was problematic for their paying customers. If memory serves they got a pretty good wrap on the knuckles from one of the wildlife / wild lands management agencies and they earned a good deal of ire / bad rap from the local anglers.

Observe and report, leave the riparian work to those with the training and the uniform.

+ Reply to Thread