+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fish - ins

Jack, I think most folks are more likely to click the Home Page Fish-In link. From there they are offered a direct link to the BB post about that paticular Fish In.

I know that at a few of the Fish-Ins there are a core of folks that make it every year, anything beyond that is a highlite!

As far as having a section on the BB about the FI's, I feel thats great. And as far as a quick post to remind folks about a upcoming event I do think a post on the main or sound off sections works well!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    The MIFI is in a bit of a "can't get there from here" location and coupled with the socio economics of the area in general does temper the attendance.

Mark
    Mark

What in Allah's name are you talking about? Gates Lodge is one of, if not THE premier fishing lodges in the Eastern US. Located within steps of the Ausable's famed Holy Waters. There are more trout streams in a 30 mile radius that one person could fish in a lifetime. You are less than 7 miles away from Grayling with 4 or more motels, restaurants, fly shops, grocery stores, etc. Campgrounds are plentiful in the area also.

Where would you suggest that a Fish In be held? Downtown Detroit? Chicago? I know,after a long day of fishing the Chicago River, we could eat at a five star restaurant, catch a show, and then have a latte before turning in at the hotel on Michigan Ave. Fish Ins are held where the fish are!

I take it you have never been to the Idaho Fish IN. Talk about getting there from here? You are in the middle of no where. No cell service. No Starbucks. It is ALL about the fishing....well, and the social activites AFTER fishing.

Remember, all it takes for a Fish In to happen is somone to be motavated to start one. That could be you!

As for the low numbers at the MI FI, it is what it is. The dates were picked to try and time the HEX hatch. Earlier in the year, Gates is booked solid. Much later in the year and the fishing is very tough during the daylight hours and one must resort to night time fishing. Most people(including me) do not like that. It seems that everyone always has excuses as to why they can't or will not attend, and that is fine. As for me, I will be attending until this fat old body says na, baby, na. If it turns into a one man Fish In, then so be it.

Stepping off of my soap box now...

Brad
    Last edited by Kaboom1; 05-08-2012 at 04:15 PM.
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Huzzah! Huzzah!

So you know, we (owners and admin) are not happy with how the Fish-Ins show up on the BB either....keep the comments coming, we are going to change 'something'.

I just posted on the Montana fishin sight. I had to stop and think about where the posts had gone to. I belive it is a good thing to have the fishins in their own spot.
    Wyo-Blizzard

Blog Entries

I find it less than friendly since you can't tell what board the current responses are on. IMO, it has reduced visibility for all of the fish-ins, and the discussion for our KS fish-in is MUCH lower this year than in previous years. In fact, it appears that attendance will be WAY down as well.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

I feel that we know the problem but that doesn't help the board or anyone else. Anyone have an idea what to do to help the board out??? Don't want to steal your thread Jack

Randy

How about just re-locating the FISH-IN page(dept. or whatever it's called) and placing it within the FAOL BB in the FAOL COMMUNITY section, below the Fly Anglers On Line page and above the Sound-Off page? I have no idea if this is an easy fix or not. Also, from my own perspective, if I were looking for 'Fish-In' information I don't think its present location is that difficult to find. However, I think this suggestion would make it much more visible.

Allan
    Last edited by Allan; 05-10-2012 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    How about just re-locating the FISH-IN page(dept. or whatever it's called) and placing it within the FAOL BB in the FAOL COMMUNITY section, below the Fly Anglers On Line page and above the Sound-Off page? I have no idea if this is an easy fix or not. Also, from my own perspective, if I were looking for 'Fish-In' information I don't think its present location is that difficult to find. However, I think this suggestion would make it much more visible.

Allan
    Good idea. I was thinking along the same line.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Recently there seems to be some misunderstanding about Fish-Ins and FAOL’s connection to these events. After a conversation with the Ladyfisher, to make certain that I had all my facts straight, I sat down to compose a brief history of the Fish-Ins that some of you participate in each year.

The Ladyfisher tells me that the first unofficial Fish-In took place sometime in the late 90’s when JC and the Ladyfisher planned to come to Montana from their home in Washington and do some fishing. This was mentioned, either in a column or on the Bulletin Board, and some readers of FAOL asked if they could go with them. The Ladyfisher remembers that six folks joined them for a few days fishing in the West Yellowstone area.

News of this event made it to the Bulletin Board and the late Al Campbell suggested that it might be fun to have an annual ‘Fish-In’, he coined the name, and set about to organize one in the Rapid City area for the following year. The Ladyfisher tells me that this was a great success and soon other ‘Fish-Ins’ were being organized in various parts of the country.

Over the years various gatherings have taken place under the title of a Fish-In. Some have continued while others have languished and disappeared. Early on JC and the Ladyfisher made it clear that FAOL was not responsible for any of the arrangements or costs associated with these events, but would provide publicity for anyone that wished to organize one. I have copied the information that appears on the FAOL website concerning Fish-Ins and it reads as follows:

“It appears that there is an increasing interest in Fish-Ins and several of the participants on the bulletin board are actively exploring holding more of these informal gatherings. A Fish-In is a gathering of fly fishing guys and gals at some strategic location where they can get together and swap lies and flies and spend time fishing nearby waters. Over the years there have been several Fish-Ins in various parts of the country and several of them have become somewhat of a tradition.

There has been some confusion about how these events come about and how they are organized. While FAOL has been an active participant in several of these events we have no active role in planning, organizing or funding these events. We are happy to provide a forum for individuals that are interesting in planning and organizing these events but we are not responsible for them. If you are interested in attending one of these events you can find more information here and on the bulletin board.”

Like any activity, if it’s important to you then you will do what is necessary to see to it that you take part. I don’t know why the Fish-Ins are getting fewer hits than in the past but I don’t believe it has anything to do with where the sign up is placed on the Bulletin Board. I think that Kaboom has it right when he stated, “It seems that everyone always has excuses as to why they can't or will not attend, and that is fine.”

Here’s a suggestion: When you have a Fish-In get the email address of everyone that takes part. If you are planning on having another one the following year, when you have the dates established send a group email to everyone that participated last year. Send me an article promoting your Fish-In and I will run it on FAOL’s main page. If you do that and no one shows any interest then you can’t say if was from the lack of trying.

+ Reply to Thread