+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need Suggestions For New Combo

Stumpy,

I'm a fellow Mississippian and for panfish I use two rods. I have a 7' 3 wt. fiberglass Kabuto, and a 9' 5wt. Sage sp. The 3 weight is a blast but if you get on any of the oxbow lakes here the wind can be tough. I like to have both with me in case the bass turn on. I have thrown #8 crystal buggers all day on a 3 wt. at reasonable distances but if the winds kick up I switch to the 5 wt. Let me know if you ever want to get together and fish. I live in Clinton MS.
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

Quote Originally Posted by ol' blue View Post
    It isn't a lifetime warranty and is a bit shorter, but my favorite bluegill rod right now is a Cabela's 3 forks combo. You can get a combo with fly line for $70-75. I have some rods that cost more than that combo did. The rod is a 7'6" 3 wt 3 piece. The combo has a LOT of bang for your buck. I like it better than my Dan Craft Sig V 4 wt, or my RX8 Batson 2 weight when I'm after bluegills. It casts nice, and the line in the combo isn't too bad either. I know several who have bought this combo and been very pleasantly surprised with the quality.
    This is the one that I have been using for the last 5 or so years. I have used it in Nebraska, Houston area, and now Oklahoma. I have caught a lot of sweet gills, red ears, Texas Chiclids, bass, carp, catfish, creek chubs, and trout. I throw anything from size 18 nymphs to size 4 foam poppers and 1/64th oz micro jigs. From my experience I give it two thumb way up. When I do end up hooking into that monster that breaks it, I will be buying another just like it for a replacement.

Good luck in your quest! A light rod and some 'perch' sure are a great way to spend a day.

(Edited to add pics of the flies I mentioned. )

Jig Fly

Foam Popper

Last edited by drolfson; 05-15-2012 at 02:56 PM.
    Don Rolfson

Our friend Kevin Proctor at Colorado Custom Flyrods is helping a local shop liquidate a overstock of some Redington Rods, as well as some Winston, has a pretty good deal on both rods. Of course, he would be more than happy to build you one to your specifications.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

NewTyer 1 Guest

Jesse, you are right about Kevin. He built my Military Tribute rod. It was the second one he had ever done. Very, very nice guy to deal with and pleasent as could be and you can't beat the Redington outfits and customer service from them. Good post

+ Reply to Thread