+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rod comments

Default Rod comments

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about the Cabelas 5 piece Stowaway Rods?

I have the 7 piece Stowaway in 4 wt. I love it, it lives in the truck and consiquenty has become my gooto rod.

Bill

I agree with Bill. It's about 65% as nice as any of my $600.00 Sage Rods at way less than half the price. It's one of the nicest rods on the market, and the nicest out there for the money.

------------------
    Jude
    Late to bed,
    Early to Rise,
    Guide all day,
    Tie more flies!
    www.customflys.com

I had a 5 pc 3 wt. Traded it off.
    Somewhat soft and lackluster. There are certainly better 3 wts out there and definitley in my closet.

Most rave about them until the cast a real rod, then feel they are poor and mushy. I guess you get what you pay for. Some guys want that kind of rod. As they are not a sponsor I haven't cast the things.

I have a 3 wgt 5 piece and VEE has the 7 piece 4 wgt. The 5 piece is definately a slower action rod, but I like that. It has brought many a cutthroat to hand. The 7 piece is a faster rod (still slow by some standards) with better fit and finish.

For the money, either rod is a good buy if slower action is your taste in rods. Like others have said, the small packages fit in the trunk of the car or behind the truck seat and tend to go every where we go.

REE

[This message has been edited by Ron Eagle Elk (edited 25 April 2006).]
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

I have the 5 pc 6wt Cabela's Stowaway. I don't use it that often because I usually fish 3 to 5 wts, but I have used it for instruction and at Casting demos at some local outdoor shows and clubs. It casts beautifully and I have had more than a few offers from other fly fishers to buy that rod from me on the spot. It's a moderate to moderate fast action rod. If I'm asked to cast for distance at a show...this it the rod I pick up. I did't think I was that great of a caster but I can lay out the whole line on this one.

For the money you can't go wrong.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

This will be my first fly rod and it seems like a good deal when paired with the Ross Reel.

I have a 5 pc. 7.5' Stowaway for 4 wt. I also have a 2pc. Sage 7'11' for 4 wt. They're suprisingly close in performance. Naturally, I guess, the Sage is sweeter, (superb rod) but the Stowaway is wonderful, and certainly more handy with that short package. The short rod case provides room enough to hold rod and reel, small box or two of flys, tippet, and most anything else one would need to go fishing. I feel it was money well spent.
    The Sage was a blem blank provided by my son that turned into one of the finest rods in my possession. But the Stowaway is not far behind. Excellent fishing tool.
    G'luck.
    Bill

------------------
    Name indicates where I fish and for what I fish.
    Name notes where I fish and for what I fish.

+ Reply to Thread