+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: carp flies

Out here, clams are probably their #1 source of food. Some of the flats are littered with smashed clam shells, but i have not found a pattern that works yet. The big issue is the "plop" factor. you have to still fish the clam, so you really need a pattern that you can drop right on the fish. Trying to lead a carp with a pattern you can't strip or move is a challenge, and if you strip a clam, they spook. So far, everything I've tried has been too heavy and made too much noise entering the water, or too light and i can't get it on the fish before they are moving off to another spot. i've caught exactly 1 carp on a clam pattern!

That said, i think the carp take the worm for the extended foot of a clam. When the clams feed, they extend their foot out a bit and syphon food from the water. I think the carp often eat the worm, thinking it is a feeding clam (with the body/shell buried). when they take a worm, they almost always burrow down into the bottom a bit to eat it.

My favorite topic right now. I have been hitting the river for Carp about 5 days a weekfor the past 2 weeks and Carp season is not even really hot right now.
    I have caught Mirror and Common Carp and all on the same fly.

I have been using my BIIx 8 wt. but I got the new Allen's ATS 6 wt at the expo so had to give it a go

And they were all caught on this fly by Rainy. A softhackle Glo Bug

Hey Fly Goddess, is that red reel an Allen reel? It looks really nice and congrats on the big carp.
    Martin
    I believe I can fly fish

Yes it is. I got the Green, Blue and the turquoise and red 7/8. I love the reels and Evan up graded the drag on my older reels.

Interesting...and great pics! I was recently talking with fly angler who catches carp on egg patterns....they seem to work well for him all year long.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

NewTyer 1 Guest

I just got my Alpha 9/10 wt Allen reel in green and love it. Can't wait until my Redbone 9'9wt comes in.

A trick we use here in Canada is to make your fly - usually weighted - make very sublte 'puffs' of dirt come up off the bottom of the river. The carp may view it as something burrowing in the dirt bottom. Not sure, but it does elicit its share of takes.

A lil over a week ago I was targetting bass when I smelled some nasty smelling mud and knew there was carps tailing in the mud so paddled around the corner grabbed my 3wt and the only carp fly I had in the box and caught 5 including this 25" that weighed 12-15 lbs.
    Was tough still but manage and it was lot of fun more than trouts.

Bet that was fun on a 3wt!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
    Yes it is. I got the Green, Blue and the turquoise and red 7/8. I love the reels and Evan up graded the drag on my older reels.
    Nice reels, I've meaning to get me one one of these days.
    Thanks and great pix as always.
    I believe I can fly fish

+ Reply to Thread