+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone own a pontoon in PA - I got a ?

I just got a pontoon over the winter as well. I read the PFBC site as you needed to register any boat that was launched from a State boat launch...albeit lake or river.

I don't have a motor on mine...yet, but I was wondering if I register it now and then get the motor what do I have to do to switch...anything? Also, once registered, do you have to still have the launch permit?

------------------
    Derrick

Vocelli is right, it is VERY confusing. The PAFBC has their rules and DCNR has theirs. Just make sure YOU know the rules because some WCO's and rangers don't!

I've had more than one tell me I could use a motor on my float tube when the rule book clearly states NO MECHANICAL PROPULSION.

I keep a copy of the rules with me just in case I run across a WCO that tries to cite me for a rule I'm NOT breaking. It helps because Toons & Belly Boats are sort of in a class by themselves and many officers DON'T know the rules. I was stopped by a Game Commission officer who didn't know what the rules were yet stopped me to check for compliance????

Oh by the way, make sure if you plan to go on city, township, or county waters you check with the respective authority. I have found more than one lake that prohibits inflatable watercraft.

Both options cost the same...weather just a launch permit or flat out registering the thing... 18.00 a year..you can get a launch permit for 2 years and save some of the hassle !!

If the PFD is Coastguard approved type III or better, It is leagal in PA...Make sure you keep that in mind when purchaseing!!!

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 25 April 2006).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread