+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any suggestion for realistic wing material

Default any suggestion for realistic wing material

ok, so this was the first time i ever tried to tie a realistic mayfly.... its also the first time i ever used swiss straw, looked like it would make a great wing.... and it does until it gets wet, this fly did sit beautifully on the water, (in a cup) as soon as it started taking on water it rolled and the wing acted like a wick... i see why it would work good on a dad' now! lol
    im kind of against using materials like plastic bags and foam, the more natural the better, can anyone think of anything that would have the same "crinkle" look, and still be buoyant?
    DSCN1543.jpgDSCN1544.jpg
    on a side note, the legs are too long, looks more like a skeeter' and the body is too long, and i should have flipped the hook.... does anyone know a easier, or better way to knot deer hair?
    always appreciating the help,
    spoof
    if every cast caught a fish, it would be called "catching" not "fishing"

You have two choices.
    For a transparent look, no crinkles but perfect performance, use monofilament loops. Use 7x or 8x tippet for small flies.
    OR
    Very thinpearlescent foam used for wrapping crystal or televisions. It does have texture, is easily shaped, and won't deform.

Okay, this may sound wierd and I readily admit I have not tried it although I did try something similar. Here's the idea - Find a spider web and lacquer it with a very fine mist spray. When the lacquer dries cut the web off at the edges and then cut wings to shape. Now I guess you can press wide clear tape against a spider web then cut to shape but that would be stiff and not per your criteria ("the more natural the better"). For 'non-natural' you might try taking a woman's fine mesh stocking. Stretch it across a wide mouth open jar top. Secure it tightly with a rubber band, spray lacquer, let dry, and trim as described above.

Allan
    Last edited by Allan; 04-23-2012 at 04:20 PM.

Sheer ribbons coated with SofTex or similar substance then cut to shape look pretty good and come in wide array of colors.

Or, coat a bit of a teflon pan with softex and carefully lay white cafttail in it. Let it set, then brush on another coat to flatten and seal in the hair. Hair should go somewhat translucent. Once it is all set, you can peel it off and cut to size. This also works very well with some synthetic paint brush bristles..and you can add a few strands of krystal flash to get some sparkle. Time consuming to do it correctly, though....

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

allen,
    the spiderweb idea is pritty cool, where did u hear about this technique?
    if every cast caught a fish, it would be called "catching" not "fishing"

Cut yourself a few patches of panty hose and spray them with an artist fixative (I can't recall the name, but I think Kylon makes one) or lacquer them. Once dried you can cut or punch out your pattern.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Quote Originally Posted by spoof85 View Post
    allen,
    the spiderweb idea is pritty cool, where did u hear about this technique?
    spoof,

Well, I know that I cannot take credit for the idea. I think I simply heard or read about it a long time ago. Unfortunately, I also don't recall if I actually saw a fly with wings created this way. It does sound cool though, doesn't it?

Allan

AlanB Guest

A good few years ago I came up with a way to tie fairly realistic wings from large hackles. This is not a wonder wing, though it has similarities. It has two tie in points to give a wider base.

For display I tie in two wings, for fishing only one.
    Cheers,
    A.

Just remembered a couple of materials that can be used for realistic type wings. You can get them in numerous colors at fabric stores like JoAnn's or Hobby Lobby. The materials are 'Organza' and the stuff used for wedding dresses, and other wedding type stuff. I think it's called 'tulle' or something. Spray coat with lacquer or some fixative and cut to shape or Carefully use wing burners. Permanent marker can add realistic veins. I'm sure there are other things that can be used for the realistic wings you want.
    C'mon guys let's hear some ideas.

Oh. Just found this. Amazingly realistic but he's using a material you seemed somewhat against using.

http://www.grahamowengallery.com/fis...ex_mayfly.html

Allan
    Last edited by Allan; 04-24-2012 at 01:20 AM.

NewTyer 1 Guest

Lay a piece of wide scotch tape down, place some hairs on it very sparcely and then overlay with another piece of tape, then burn in wing tool or just cut and use fine tip permenant marker to form more veins if needed,

+ Reply to Thread