+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small Stream Rod??

You should check out/cast the Temple Fork rods before you spend any money, Theerrree GGreeaat!

Pssst..... I love the the TiCr rods

If I had to choose a single weight to use it would be a 6. good middle ground for general all around use.

Hey FrankB,

If you're still thinking about that rod two weeks after first having seen it, then you should buy it! Now!!!! You know you want it!

Because if you wait any longer they probably won't have it anymore when you do stop vasilating, and then you'll kick yourself for the next two weeks for not having bought it at 50% off.

How much off is more than a great deal?

Come on, Bow Hunters have a quiver of arrows, Fly Fishers need a Quiver of Rods.

akalooker
    "The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be." - John Gierach

Rich, you'll search a long time before you find a better small stream rod than that little Fenwick. I'd try it with a 4 or 5 weight forward line.

Cabelas 3 forks combos are very nice and at a very good price and many on here own them. I have a 7.6 3wt that I use here in Ohio formost all my fishing. Matt

------------------
    To each there own !

First off, our small streams around these parts are the Provo River (upper/middle & lower)and I am with Betty, only mine is a 7' 4wt. boo. I also like the Trout Bum for the Provo, but I did buy a 10' 5wt TFO Pro and have been using it on the middle and I love TFO also. Easy to mend, cast in the wind and short or high stick.
    The Far and Fine is a good choice also for that bamboo feel.
    Lines, SYLK, SYLK, and SYLK. I like TT but my boo loves Sylk (WF & DT) I have to say I really like Orvis Superfine (maybe even more than TT, but that is just me)

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

Rich, Let me suggest that you get a 4W rod,although a 5W would be a better choice if you also plan to fish rivers or lakes/ponds. Buy a reel that is designed to hold 4-5-6 weight lines. That way as you add rods to your collection you can use the same reel, by switching spools. Based on the flies you menioned I would suggest not getting a 3W or less. I fish the same size rivers you are fishing and a 8'4W works fine, as long as the weighted flies are not too big and bulky. Small weighted woollies cast fine, but I don't know about the 1/64 oz. jig. A more versatile rod might be a 9ft 5W, which is the rod I would use on larger rivers and floattubing. A 9ft4W might be nice, but only found available in more expensive rods.

------------------
    Peter F
    www.fishingwithflies.com
    pfrailey@hotmail.com

Thanks for all the replies.
    I think I am going to purchase either a TFO or an Orvis 8'6" 5 weight.Now I just got to figure out which line to use.Possibly Cortland or Air cell by Scientific Angler.Thanks again.
    Rich

------------------
    Work is getting in the way of my fishin habit!!

If you go with the TFO, be advised that there are a lot of differences between models. Goto to [url=http://www.templeforkflyrods.com:78e50]www.templeforkflyrods.com[/url:78e50] and read all about them. Then I suggest casting the one that fit your need before you buy. I'm sure they'll have what your looking for. Best of luck.

+ Reply to Thread