+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: input on pattern

I'll give John the benefit of the doubt. Its hard to tell what someone means on-line without an emoticon in the post. The reply could be interpreted as tongue in cheek.

Looking at the fly, I don't know what natural it is imitating, but an opportunistic fish could take it as some sort of flying insect. Trout take polypro yarn strike indicators so it would not suppose me if a trout took this fly.

I'm not as certain as Allan on one point. I'm not sure that the fly will helicopter. The wings are not solid, but are of wood duck or mallard flank feather barbules so so they are not a solid airfoil. I say cast it and see if the fly spins.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    ... the comment was called for. spoof85 asked a question and I gave a candid, honest answer. ( It also occurred to me that he might be looking to change his name to spoof86. You can find a definition of "spoof" in the dictionary. )

I could give you my resume, but I'll just say that if you read my Reader's Cast articles, took a look at the dozen or so Fly of the Week articles I've done, and read the 300-400 Fishing Reports I've posted over the past few years, you'd have a pretty good idea who I am.

In the for what it is worth category, I'm on record on the Bulletin Board a number of times as only fishing for colorblind, nearsighted, dumb and hungry fish. I'm also on record on this Forum as prefering to see flies posted after they have been fished and proven that they will catch fishies.

John

So .... were you spoofing or not, spoof85 ???

I could care less about your resume it is not like your the only one here who has been fishing a while..... It doesnt matter how you justify it, it was a rude comment. The guy makes up his own design, he is obviously excited about it. He takes time to phtograph it and post it...... instead of constructive critisisum you come up with "Blind, dumb, and starving would be a start. " How can you not see that as rude. Around a campfire with buddies, yeah that is funny as hell. For a guy on a message board looking for a little advice that is just rude.

Arrow Actually ...

Quote Originally Posted by fish4trout View Post
    ...The guy makes up his own design, he is obviously excited about it. He takes time to phtograph it and post it...... instead of constructive critisisum you come up with "Blind, dumb, and starving would be a start. " How can you not see that as rude. Around a campfire with buddies, yeah that is funny as hell. For a guy on a message board looking for a little advice that is just rude.
    ... spoof85 wasn't asking for constructive criticism or advice, he says -

"anyone know what kind of fish this would be good for? i was just messing around and came up with this... tie it, try it, let me know!"

If he had asked for constructive criticism, I would have not responded at all or I would have given him some constructive criticism. He asked what kind of fish would the fly be good for. I still think the best chance that fly has is with blind, dumb, and starving fish.

In the meantime, I don't see any responses from you on this thread giving spoof85 any of your ideas about what kind of fish this would be good for, and I don't see you giving him any unsolicited constructive criticism or advice. I am wondering if you have made note of this fly so you can tie some up and give them a go at an early date, kind of like spoof85 asked of the BB members. Maybe you can let us all know how you do with it.

In case spoof85 is not spoofing, my suggestion to him as a relatively new fly fisherman and fly tier, assuming he has an interest in catching fish, is to stick with established patterns or experimental flies based on the study of fish foods, as described by Byron in his post. He may learn / develop some valuable fly tying skills by "messing around" at the vise, but that is a whole different subject.

John
    The fish are always right.

... spoof85 wasn't asking for constructive criticism or advice, he says -

"anyone know what kind of fish this would be good for? i was just messing around and came up with this... tie it, try it, let me know!"

If he had asked for constructive criticism, I would have not responded at all or I would have given him some constructive criticism. He asked what kind of fish would the fly be good for. I still think the best chance that fly has is with blind, dumb, and starving fish.

In the meantime, I don't see any responses from you on this thread giving spoof85 any of your ideas about what kind of fish this would be good for, and I don't see you giving him any unsolicited constructive criticism or advice. I am wondering if you have made note of this fly so you can tie some up and give them a go at an early date, kind of like spoof85 asked of the BB members. Maybe you can let us all know how you do with it.

In case spoof85 is not spoofing, my suggestion to him as a relatively new fly fisherman and fly tier, assuming he has an interest in catching fish, is to stick with established patterns or experimental flies based on the study of fish foods, as described by Byron in his post. He may learn / develop some valuable fly tying skills by "messing around" at the vise, but that is a whole different subject.

John
    Your right you dont. I have no idea what kind of fish that fly would be good for so I chose not to respond instead of making rude comments. It is called being an adult.
    Last edited by fish4trout; 04-06-2012 at 09:36 PM.

wow wow wow..... i go to work and leave you guys alone for 14 hours...... lol
    to be honest, i took the comment with a smile, i got a laugh out of it..... not offended at all, thanks for having my back though guys lol.....

ps spoof is my nickname that was given to me when i was 10, and it stuck, and i was born in 85.... i was not "spoofing"
    pss working 14 hours a day 6 days a week doesnt leave much daylight for me to fish, and the fly is not based on anything... if anything i would say it is more along a variation of a bluegill bomber.... but not at all...

finally, thanks for the input guys, i have about 20 minutes of sunset left.... im going to enjoy it.
    spoof85

Arrow Hmmmmmm ......

Quote Originally Posted by fish4trout View Post
    Your right you dont. I have no idea what kind of fish that fly would be good for so I chose not to respond instead of making rude comments. It is called being an adult.
    ... I'm sure you are a fine fellow, fish4trout, and it is quite possible you will do well in life considering everyone who offers an honest and candid opinion rude and calling them a jerk. I can only wish you well with that as you go along.

Also, all the best at the vise and on the water.

John

P.S. spoof85 - that is a cool way to put together a BB name. Glad you had a laugh out of my original comment and took no offense, since none was intended. There are a bunch of really talented fly tiers who contribute in a positive way to this Forum. It's a great place to learn so take advantage of them.
    The fish are always right.

... I'm sure you are a fine fellow, fish4trout, and it is quite possible you will do well in life considering everyone who offers an honest and candid opinion rude and calling them a jerk. I can only wish you well with that as you go along.

Also, all the best at the vise and on the water.

John

P.S. spoof85 - that is a cool way to put together a BB name. Glad you had a laugh out of my original comment and took no offense, since none was intended. There are a bunch of really talented fly tiers who contribute in a positive way to this Forum. It's a great place to learn so take advantage of them.

Thank you very much John that is very kind of you to say. I wish you the best as well. May all your fish be blind ,dumb and starving.

Blog Entries

John,
    Now you have gone too far with that signature phrase of yours. I demand you admit it is wrong. You see, I do catch a lot of trout!!!!LOL

First thing I thought of was that it looks like the Easter Bunny, especially the front-on view; from the top it reminds me of an Irresistible on crystal meth. Second thought was it would be a killer bluegill pattern (although I'd never spend that much time at the vise on a bluegill fly). It would be interesting to hear how many different fish you do catch on it.

Regards,
    Scott

Now I'm no expert and have no idea what the Blue Gill Bomber is, but I would guess that it would work for trout as a Bee imitation. I have a friend who fishs bee imitations frequently and does well with them. It is a rather interesting pattern. Maybe some day I will decide to get a picture of a variation of the Adams pattern I have tied on here to get a bit of feedback. Happy FISHING to everyone this Easter weekend.

Brandon

+ Reply to Thread