+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The GM

Default The GM

The GM (Griffiths Max)

The GM is tied as a larger version of the griffiths gnat to use as a search pattern in the warmer terrestrial months. Super simple to tie as the herl and hackle are spun together and wrapped. Very durable & over the past 2 years it has stayed in my box and done well.

Hook: Standard Dry #14
    Thread: Black 8/0
    Abdomen: Peacock Herl (2 strands)
    Hackle: Brown #16

Wrap thread base, tie in herl and hackle above the point of the barb, spin with hackle pliers and palmer forward. I sweep the hackle back slightly between wraps.

A very simple but effective pattern.

Hi NJ. Do you find it as effective as the usual ant and beetle patterns? That's the kind of pattern I like, simple and effective.
    Bruce

LC, I find that it does work whenever I would normally search for a beetle. I used to fish the Crackleback quite a bit in those situations...but this has replaced that for me. Last season I was able to get on Spring Creek in State College PA. A stream that tends to be difficult at times. I swear that every fish I found feeding came up for it. In gin-clear water too. The ease of tying is a big factor for me as well. My only complaint, is that in low light it's hard to pick up.

Ralph

Hey Ralph. I'll let you know how I make out.

Got to try this one. I also have some Kreinik that I may try.
    Thanks,
    Mike

NJtrout,

Gee. I always thought the fly had to be on(in) the water? "Very durable & over the past 2 years it has stayed in my box and done well." How many trout have you caught in your box? LOL.
    Actually, it is a very good pattern.

Allan

Excellent! Tasty cigars, too!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

That fly looks like a winner to me.

Thanks
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

I like the wet fly "red tag", and I was thinking that this may be a great pattern to add some dyed red hackle fibers as a tail onto... to make a dry version of the red tag, I mean. It is a great pattern as it is, and I thank you for helping me get my creative juices flowing while I wait for my vacation in 2 weeks to finally get a line wet this season.
    Thanks for the great ties!
    -Pete

Allen, I figure the bigger fish will eat the whole box.

+ Reply to Thread