+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spin/fly combo

Default Spin/fly combo

I have read about rods that will switch from flyrod to spinning rod. The handle I could setup as sliding rings. But what kind and size of guides do you use? Where is a good place to put the stripper guide? I'm thinking that the rod is a 2 piece fiberglass that is a 3-4 weight. I think it is a 7 footer, but will have to dig it out of closet.
    Any ideas?

thanks

Marion

As the spininng reel starts with the line further away from the blank than a fly reel, I would start with SF spinning guides. I would most likly use those for the first three guides. Then I would use SF fly guide from there. If possible use static testing to assist in guide placement. Start with placement as per a light spinning rod guide chart. Complete with a fly rod chart. I would most likely finish with 1/0 or 2/0 SF guides.

I don't think it can be done. They are two different ball games. You can sacrifice one or two things and it messes with another thing.

It has been done before by some individuals and some companies. A quick search will show you a few. I think that it may be a fun and learning experience for you to try.

I got rod out and it is a 6' 3wt. I think I'll work on cork handle and then shrink wrap guides on to test. There are times I go out with one rod and wish I had brought the other one. If it doesn't work I can strip the guides and set it up as a fly rod. I'll check back in when I pick up some rings for the handle. Thanks.

I can assure you especially since I am a professional builder it can be done, as i have one in my rack as a prototype, and it works. It uses a Microwave guide system for the first 2 guides, and has a removable fighting butt for use when set up spinning.

Blog Entries

You could simply use a long Tennessee spinning grip instead of a half wells, nylon slip rings, and size 16, 10 spinning guides and fly guides for the running guides. Put on a fly reel or a spinning reel.

I know it has been done and still is, I just don't think either works well. Okay if you want to cast short distances, but so does a Tenkara. A spinning outfit will not cast a fly line worth a crap. I "KNOW" because I have tried various "COMBOS" And fly guides would definitely effect a spinning reel and line.
    Just My feelings on it. You can use a crescent wrench but socket wrenches are much better...right tool for the right job.
    I am a professional singer, doesn't mean I know all there is to know about singing, just sayin'.

Blog Entries

Many use a "4 weight" blank to build a ultra light travel spinning rod. Gary Loomis originally made steelhead spinning rods with "fly rod" blanks. The blank does not care what you use it for. Only issue is that ceramic running guides are pretty heavy for a four weight fly rod.

Single foot guides would not impair the action or the weight of a rod greatly. The issue with spin/fly rods is the number of guides, spinning rods work best with a minimum of guides, fly rods require a minimum and more is usually better.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread