+ Reply to Thread

Thread: czech nymphing

Default czech nymphing

i asked for some info on this a couple three weeks back and am grateful for your responces, but reading more has brought up another question for me.....

how does one keep the rod above the line to lead the leader/tippet along without putting the rod over the fish? the stuff i read leads me to understand that you high-stck your way along without any or at most a foot or two of flyline out, with the leader going straight down from the rod tip (no slack at all)

am i missing a subtle point somewhere? (or even a not so subtle one)

------------------
    one more cast and i'll leave......well maybe one just one more
    stupidity got us into this mess, why can't it get us out?.....mark twain

I will try to make it as the cast, and control of the line, for fishing the Czech Nymphs (also works for Soft Hackle Wet Flies). The system works with a taunt line at all times during the nymphs travel downstream.

1. Cast the fly line and leader,3/4 upstream.

2. At the beginning of the run, your rod tip should be lower towards the water line.

3. As the nymphs move down stream, you raise the rod tip, to keep a taunt line with the fly line off the water.

4. As the nymphs pass your position, you lower the rod tip towards the water line.

5. After the nymphs have done the swing towards the near shore, you Roll Cast the line (to bring the nymphs to the surface. Then cast the fly line back 3/4 upstream.

6. After a couple runs through that section, move down stream, a few paces, and do it all over again. ~Parnelli

In Czech/Polish nymphing, you are accually short sticking it. 10' rod, 10' leader. More dapping. You are pulling the very heavy fly (16 to 24 grains) down river. Fast deep runs.

------------------
    she who dies with the most toy's wins.

[This message has been edited by Fly Goddess (edited 19 April 2006).]

Vocelli said in part "It's not rocket surgery..."

Now that is real funny, or maybe you meant to say "It's not Brain Science"

Gotta try tying and flying some of the Czech Nymphs some time.

Rich

[This message has been edited by flymaker2 (edited 19 April 2006).]

Flygodess put up a very good point. The rod lenght in fishing that style makes a whole lot of difference. You should check out Davy Wotton, he's a wetfly guy here in Arkansas but his style of fishing would be beneficial to you and he is the master of his domain when it comes to fishing wet flies and soft hacklers. His style of fishing those are similar to what I have found on Czech Nymphing with long rods and leaders and presentation presentation presentation.
    [url=http://www.davywotton.com:cf329]www.davywotton.com[/url:cf329]

Well to start off Czech Nymphing and Polish Nymphing are really two totally different things. They are often put into the same catagory as a European style nymphing but they are as different as night and day. Might as well throw Spanish style nymphing in there as well while we're at it.

Polish nymphing involves using two flies and leading the flies in fast water with the rod tip. It is not high sticking at all but rather leading the flies slightly with the rod tip.

Czech nymphing involves using 3 flies with one either being a soft hackle or a dry fly. The flies are either led as they are in polish nymphing or the dry is used as an indicator.

Spanish nymphing uses a long line mono technique. A coil of yellow mono is used to indicate a take. The flies can be high sticked at terrific distance since the mono has virtually no weight to pull against the flies.

John Wilson

------------------
    [url=http://www.flyfishingarkansas.com:6f8da]http://www.flyfishingarkansas.com[/url:6f8da]

Just some random thoughts!

Can you do "Czech Nymphing in Nebraska?

If a "Czech Nymph" is suppose to represent, the aquatic Caddis, why is the fly pattern called a Nymph? (Caddis never enter the "Nymph Stage" in their life cycle. That is why they are referred to as Caddisflies, instead of Caddis Flies!)

If you use a "Polish Weave" on a "Czech Nymph" pattern, what nationality what nationality is the fly pattern?

Just some random thoughts from my random brain.

~Parnelli

In the "School of Life", all questions do not necessarily have answers!

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 20 April 2006).]

Steven:

It is really "supposed" to be Polish Nymphing but has been popularized as Czech nymphing in recent years after they became a force in the World Championships using the Polish Technique with 3 flies in lieu of two.

The polish weave imitates a grub or a free swimming caddis like a hydropsyche.

------------------
    [url=http://www.flyfishingarkansas.com:362a3]http://www.flyfishingarkansas.com[/url:362a3]

+ Reply to Thread