+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: suggestions for crayfish tail?

Question suggestions for crayfish tail?

i love this pattern, but when its all said and done the head looks great while the tail and rear segments seem to be lacking that.. "zaz," if u you know what i mean. any suggestions?
    *mind the proportions,(and quality) quick tie, im pulling 14 hour shifts..... gotta get to sleep*
    thanks,
    spoof
    DSCN1491.jpgDSCN1492.jpgDSCN1493.jpgDSCN1494.jpg

Spoof,

I use this craw pattern.

The 'tail' is made from the same thin skin as the shellback and extends over the hook eye. I just cut it to shape after I complete the tie.

Buddy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

NewTyer 1 Guest

I think it looks good and should catch you plenty of fish

spoof85,

You might try shaping it like Buddy said and showed in his pictures and then using a marker to darken the material and that may be all you need to do to give it the "zaz" you are looking for.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

i defiantly will, i wish there was a better place locally to get my materials, Cabelas blows.... 1/4 inch scud is a pain to color with sharpies, i got to get more colors too, i did use black on that one and wiped it away to give it a slight off color.
    buddy,
    what are u using for the claws? and did u ever try putting a bend in the hook around the mid section and weighting the back? works great for pauses in the retreat.
    thanks,
    spoof

spoof,

The claws are rabbit strips.

The 'weight' in this one is a pair of lead eyes right behind the eyes. When you pause the retrieve it raises up just like a threatened 'dad.

As far as getting your materials, for crawfish shellback look for plastic table clothes at the dollar. One table cloth will make about a hundred thousand craws...you can sometimes find camo colored one in greens and browns ..but if you buy a white one, you can spend a few minutes with markers and you have an unlimited supply...most of these have a both a matte and a shiny side, your choice which to use.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Buddy, I was wondering how having the weight just behind the eyes would allow the fly to go into a defensive posture? Wouldn't the weight in that position tend to hold the head and claws down?
    craw.jpg
    This pattern uses Furry Foam for the body and tail. When tied at the tail and trimmed to desired length if flares slightly to form the shape you see. You may notice that the claws are not too large so as not to be intimidating. We often found (when using live bait back years ago) that pinching off one or both claws quite often triggered a strike quicker than a full craw.
    Last edited by Tig; 03-21-2012 at 01:07 AM.

I have heard that too...re: the smaller claws....besides the small claws I like the defensive position idea too.

If you look at Buddy's pictures you can just distinguish the lead eyes just at the hook eye...his verbage was a little confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman View Post
    If you look at Buddy's pictures you can just distinguish the lead eyes just at the hook eye...his verbage was a little confusing.
    i cant see tell in the pictures, but one thing is for sure, im going to start flipping the hook, weighting the rear does help with snaps, but flipping the hook... lol sad i never did that before!

Supreme hair or Unique hair or ultra hair.
    available from various vendors. use google or bing.

+ Reply to Thread