+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dying Dub Materials

Default Dying Dub Materials

Is using Rit Dye for dying dubbing materials a workable solution? I've tried using the Kool Aid method but never really had any luck with that. I would be mainly be dying all natural materials and was thinking of trying the Rit dye if this would work.

Has anyone used this type of dying and if so what's the best way to do this or what is all involved?

thanks,
    Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

I've used Rit Dye a number of times and while it may not give you the bright colors of one of the commercial products made for dying fur and feathers, it does a pretty good job. Great for softer, muted colors like you might want for dubbing materials.

Jim Smith

Thanks Jim. Right now I'm thinking of just trying some the basic colors, browns, olives, oranges, yellows, scarlet/wine for some of the animal pelts/pieces I have, i.e. beaver, muskrat and possum. I found Rit Dye web site and they describe different techniques for dying and may try the microwave method for dying to see how it works out.

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

Acid dyes are made to work with fur & feathers. 2 lines are available at http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/en...lnav=dyes.html
    Jacquard's and Dharma Trading house brand, both are good.
    1/8th to 1/4 teaspoon is enough to do a cape or a couple pieces of deer fur. The acid is from white vinegar. Google Acid dye and you will find other companies, Veniards has a line geared to fly tying, but their product is very inconsistent .
    Here is a video of Davie McPhail demonstrating how to dye feathers.

+ Reply to Thread