+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your Worst High End Gear Experience?

Blog Entries

My worst experience so far happened last month. I had a customer send me a brand new Sage Xi3 and a Struble U-21 reel seat with matching fighting butt to install on the brand new never been lined up, cast, or fished $750 Sage rod. The reel seat is solid titanium and with the fighting butt retails for over $160 all by itself. I swap everything out and send it back. He can't mount a reel on the rod. Any reel. Now, I use a reel mounted in the seat to align things when I glue the seat on a rod. The reel I used was an old one but mounted up without undue problems. I have him send the rod back with the reel he is trying to mount. Sure enough. It won't go. I tried 3 or 4 reels and the only one I could mount was the one I had used to line things up. I removed the new seat and called Struble. Before shipping it back, I did a ton of measurements of reel feet, and this seat along with a couple of other seats I had on hand. The U-21 was nowhere close as far as room in the hood or slide. To top it off, the body was short, too. I sent the whole works back to Struble.

As it turns out, the CNC machine had been setup wrong. They sent me a new seat and butt which I assembled and mounted his reel and any other reel I could get my hands on to be sure it was going to work before mounting the seat. Struble had machined a new seat for me that was top notch.

While everything worked out and I was taken care of to my satisfaction, it shouldn't have happened with a high end seat like that. Will I buy Struble seats again? Absolutely. This was handled with true concern and professionalism. Poop happens but given the chance most companies will fix it.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

I love all my sage rods, they are lovely to use, but the Cork is frankly rubbish, the Z-axis has more filler than cork! I still would not swap them for anything else, the actions are good for my casting and they are just a pleasure to use.
    All the best.
    Mike

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I'm with Lotech on this one. I don't think I have any 'high-end' gear. Mine are all Scientific Anglers, Shakespeare, Phleuger, and 1 old Martin set-up. I have even have a wind up Martin 'automatic' fly reel, and actually fish with it sometimes.

And the really awful part is that I'm not really ashamed....hey, they catch fish. What can I say?

Quote Originally Posted by Lotech View Post
    Never been able to afford "High End" gear. Lucky me. If my stuff fails, it was cheap to begin with.

I have never fished for big or fast fish so I don't know about the rate of failure in any reels. With that being said, I'm sorry if I opened a can of worms (box of flies) by trying to compare cheap stuff with high end gear.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lotech View Post
    I have never fished for big or fast fish so I don't know about the rate of failure in any reels. With that being said, I'm sorry if I opened a can of worms (box of flies) by trying to compare cheap stuff with high end gear.
    You certainly did not hurt my feelers...

Blog Entries

I didn't think he had hurt anyone's feelers.
    Kevin

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Not at all. I am sure the high-end is a dream to fish with, and it gives us something to aspire to. It could be that someday, I will treat myself to a nice Sage Rod, when I think I have earned it. Of course, I am sure that I can't cast good enough to get the most out of that level of gear, but as I said, it is something to aspire to. In the meantime, I still get to fly fish. There is equipment available in everyone's price range.

What I would really like to know is the incidence of failure for high-end gear compared to the incidence of failure of more modest equipment, such as Scientific Anglers, Martin, Shakespeare, etc.... Is the high-end stuff really worth the extra money for anything other than the satisfaction of owning it (which I am sure is considerable in it's own right)? That would be a cool study. Do you reckon I could get a grant for that? (LOL)

I guess I am curious because I have never had any fly gear fail (except for breaking an old bamboo rod at the Tennessee Gathering 2 years ago, but that would've been considered abuse.....falling on your rod does not constitute a failure of the rod....). I still have my old South Bend Fly Combo that I bought when I was a teenager, and I still fish with it, after 40 years. It was my first fly rod. Every broken piece of fly gear I have ever had was due to abuse (ceiling fans, run over with the car, etc...).
    Last edited by Gigmaster; 03-14-2012 at 06:39 PM.

Blog Entries

I see bunches of broken rods. I would imagine that things are skewed a bit due to idiot proof warranties on most of the high end gear, but it is still amazing the number of higher end rods I see for repair. I hear what was done to the rod and how it was broken. I see a few tip sections broken from big fish but the vast majority are abuse. I tend to discount the big fish stories because, well... it is a fisherman bringing me the rod.

All in all, I think the lower priced rods hold up just as well as the high end ones. The $40 reel that Bass Pro Shop sells is a good little reel if not as pretty as some of the higher end ones. I have a friend that sells some very nice looking CNC machined reels out of China that are almost bullet proof and have a great nylon disk drag at under a c-note! Quality does not have to be expensive.
    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread